[22] Breakfast at Felix's

"You dragged me away from work for breakfast?" I ask, still gaping at the aging diner in front of me. It has a homely feel, sure, what with its slanted copper roof and overgrown vines creeping over the fading store sign. But just because it's homely doesn't mean I need to be in it.

'Felix Brew'. An honestly odd name for such an unassuming place.

Atty shakes his head, still smiling wide. He hasn't stopped smiling since I got on his motorcycle ten minutes ago. "Have you had breakfast yet? No. Anyways, that's not the point."

He pats my back, ushering me in. "You'll like this, trust me."

The first thing I notice after walking through the stained-glass door is the smell. A faint aroma of fresh coffee beans mingling with a trace of lemon oil and... cashews?

I'm so confused.

Usually that would also mean 'excited' but right now I just want to crawl back behind my register.

"This way," Atty instructs as he holds my shoulders and casually rotates me to the left. The diner is empty for the most part, probably since it's an hour or so past breakfast time. A few patrons mill about, mostly concentrated near the navy blue serving counter. I keep scanning the room, searching for whatever it is Atty wants me to see so badly.

When I do see 'it', my breath hitches.

Towards the back of the room, in a booth by the large windows, are my parents. No doubt about it, I'd recognize Mama's gaudy red earrings anywhere- and that tiny bald spot on Dad's head, the one he insists isn't there.

Before I know it, I'm running- so fast my legs almost get tangled in themselves twice. Mama sees me coming and stands up, holding her arms out wide. I leap onto her without a pause, the momentum causing her to stumble back a step. But she holds her ground and takes me in, her long black hair cascading all around me.

God, I love her.

I sink my head into her chest, letting her sunflower and cilantro scent overwhelm me. My shoulders loosen and my lips quiver, a short sigh escapes me. Finally, something familiar.

She holds me tight for a few minutes and massages my back before slowly unwrapping her arms. Almost immediately, Dad takes a few steps towards me, his hands hovering in front of his abdomen. When I offer him a smile, he too gives me a tight hug, followed by a gentle pat on the head.

Ah, the classic hair ruffle. Dad's favorite way of diverting attention after showing affection because he's embarrassed. Sure enough, he has on a sheepish grin as Mama rests her cheek on his shoulder. Her arm is snaked behind his back, and her hand is no doubt resting on his rear. That, is classic Mama.

Atty greets them with a wide smile and steps forward, hand outstretched.

"So good to see you again, Mr. and Mrs. Hayes. Hope we didn't keep you waiting too long."

"Nonsense Atty dear, we just arrived," Mama coos, ignoring his hand and going straight for a friendly hug. When he reciprocates, she beams, grinning from ear to ear.

Mama pinches Atty's cheeks and clicks her tongue. "And what did I say last time? No more of this 'Mr. and Mrs.' business. Call me Carmen."

She grins, her kohl-lined brown eyes bright and welcoming.

Well, Mama's like that with everyone. Dad on the other hand, he prefers the Mr. or even 'sir'.

Dad chuckles and nods. "Agreed, call me Matt."

If I had a drink, I'd be spitting it out right now.

I stare at my parents in awe, mouth hanging slack. What in the world is going on? Did Atty use his magic wooing powers to smooth talk Dad? But Dad's a total hardass, if he catches even a whiff of bullshit it's game over.