[40] Everybody Talks

It's been two weeks since Mayor Eleanor's obnoxious, but somehow still spine chilling, threat.

I keep waiting for the shoe to drop, for her to launch some type of all-out attack and stomp on the few pieces of happiness I've built for myself. But so far? Radio silence.

Maybe she's full of shit and isn't actually going to do anything. Or maybe, she's being a politician about it and is simply waiting for the perfect opportunity.

I really, really hope she's full of shit.

I'm happy as I am now. Even though it means that currently I'm sandwiched between Nate and Jay at the Martins' dining table, with Celeste and Vik seated right across.

Atty's standing at the head of the table, droning on about shadow zombies and their ironic affinity for light (whatever that means) as he flips the page of the worn-out video game outline he's been clutching for the past hour.

Celeste, Vik, Jay, and I flip the pages of our own copies instinctively, trying to follow along.

I was roped into Atty's video-game focus group because I'm dating him. Jay is here because he's Atty's brother.

How in the hell Atty managed to convince the rest of my friends I'll never know. Except for Celeste, a massive gaming enthusiast like her would never give up the chance at a focus group for anything by 'Hill Games'.

She's got stars in her eyes as she nods along to Atty's every word and takes detailed notes.

Presley, on the other hand, flat out refused to participate but still wanted to be present and cause trouble. She also managed to wrangle Vanessa and Myra away from the group.

Now the three of them are sprawled around the living room, braiding each other's hair and doing their nails like it's a sleepover- with Presley and V sending the occasional snide remark Atty's way.

From my left, Nate's head sways forward just the slightest, his dreads bouncing against his forehead.

I nudge him, trying to stop myself from giggling. "Good morning sunshine," I tease under my breath.

He jolts awake and grabs his booklet, loudly 'hmm-ing' as if he was paying attention the whole time.

Jay groans. "This has been going on for an eternity, my stomach is beginning to eat itself," he complains, dramatically pressing his face against the table and pretending to sob.

Atty clicks his tongue. "I fed you before we started- that was barely an hour ago! Can you please pay attention? Like Vik."

Vik raises his eyebrows, clearly not expecting to be called on. He clears his throat, "I'm... confused."

"About?" Celeste asks, leaning over to read the sparse notes he's jotted down on his booklet.

"I'm not sure..." he trails off, scrunching his eyebrows. Then he turns to Atty and says, "also, the 'food' you fed us lacked seasoning. Don't be so afraid of flavor next time."

"Hey," I interject, playfully throwing my eraser at him. "I helped make that."

Vik shrugs and repeats, "then don't be so afraid next time."

I would fight him right now if I didn't agree so completely. My pasta wasn't as strong as it could've been, Mama would be ashamed.

Atty shakes his head and tosses his outline onto the table, rubbing the back of his neck. "Are you confused on the creatures? Is that the unclear part?"

I scoff, "it's not that complicated Vikky, they're basically like zombies."

"Oh my god," Atty grumbles, evidently perplexed. "They're nothing like zombies."