[37] New Faces

Celeste's sister's fiancé's cousins are not at all what I expected. I was picturing 2 mini versions of Celeste, bubbly girls complete with the round ears, bajillion freckles, and hair so red it looks like leftover from the sun.

In hindsight, I realize the glaring flaws in that assumption. Somehow my brain utterly failed to comprehend the fact that these cousins are not biologically related to Celeste in any way. So duh, they'll look different.

Still, I think anyone would be surprised if the school's 'legendary basketball duo' strolled up to their table during lunch and demanded to 'sign this stupid thing already'.

Hiro, the younger one, narrows his eyes at the sign-up sheet I just handed him and turns it over several times. Oh god, I hope he doesn't comment on the wrinkles (it got crushed under biology textbook and I didn't get the time to print another).

Thankfully, he simply huffs and shakes his head before leaning over my lunch table and scribbling in the details.

His older brother Rai, on the other hand, smirks. "I was wondering what kind of a person wanted to start a bug club, of all things. Did not think it would be you though, Maddy."

I set my sandwich down and fold my arms. "Well, I didn't think one of the 'cousins' Celeste told me about would be my own classmate."

He adjusts the strap of his faded blue messenger bag and grins, almond eyes twinkling. "'tis English class after lunch- is anyone even awake then? Not my fault we don't get to talk."

Fair point, especially considering how strict our teacher is.

Hiro finishes with the paper and hands it off to Rai, then turns to me. "Um, this club..." he begins, but his voice is so soft that I find myself leaning forward, straining to hear. "This club, are you actually going to be doing things? Events and such?"

"Yup! But you don't have to attend, I know you two are only doing this as a favor." It feels a bit terrible saying this since I really want to have lively events with loads of people, but beggars can't be choosers.

Hiro shakes his head so fast the cherry red basketball shoes tied to his backpack swing from side to side with the momentum. "No! I... I actually want to join. It seems really cool. So, yeah."

Oh my god.

Rai bursts into laughter as he looks up from the sheet to glance in our direction. He nudges his brother's shoulder and jokes, "I think you broke her."

"Damn right he did," I mumble as a massive smile takes over my face so fast I worry my jaw will cramp.

Before I can manage to bombard Hiro with questions about a potential interest in bugs, Nelson strolls over- no doubt to herd Rai back to their table. With his approach, I pick up on a whole new opportunity.

"Nel my man," I chime, grinning.

He nods, "sup Mads?"

Nelson is a simple man who deals in simple things. The most complex I've ever seen him get is when he paired a yellow shirt to match the yellow stripe on his sneakers. The best way to handle him is to be direct. "Wanna join my bug club?" I ask.

Rai snorts as Nel scrunches his eyebrows and frowns. He pauses for a moment before pursing his lips and countering, "do I have to do stuff?"

"Nope, you can just be a name. A ghost." Since this is Nelson I'm talking to, I add, "like a phantom."

The sound of being a 'phantom' clearly appeals to him since he instantly reaches for the paper and begins scrawling away.

That's 3 down, 11 more to go!