[29] Homecoming

As soon as I see Dad at the end of the driveway, outfitted in his crisp beige uniform, I can't help but run over to him. He's usually grumpy and doesn't appreciate hugs, but when he sees me dashing, he smiles wide and takes a step forward. Of course, once Dad has actually 'completed' the hug he tops it off with that classic hair-ruffle he always does.

"I'm really glad to have you back kiddo," Dad says. He pauses for a bit, then clears his throat and promptly begins to load my bag in the trunk.

Even though I barely reach his shoulders, I step beside him and playfully nudge his arm. "I'm happy too- about coming back, I mean."

He turns to face me, eyebrows raised. What? Why does he look so surprised?

"You are?" he asks.

"Of course I am, why wouldn't I be? Dad, is something-"

I don't get to finish my question because Atty, Jay, and Collette reach the car and quickly engulf us in chatter about everything from the weather to the specific amount of paprika Collette used in yesterday's dinner.

She hands Dad one basket after another filled with god knows what (though my nose is guessing a lot of yummy things), with specific instructions on how to deliver them to Mama and what to tell her.

After about the 3rd container, Dad sighs. "Collette, you sound more married to my wife than me."

Collette sports the smuggest grin I've seen on her yet, "that's right Matt, better be careful else I'll sweep her from right under your nose."

As the two of them go back and forth over Mama, with Jay commentating as if it's a boxing match, I feel a gentle hand on my waist.

I can't help but smile as I lean into Atty's shoulder while he keeps his arm wrapped firmly around me. I glance back and gesture to his hand, softly asking, "you sure you're ready to face my dad now?"

He chuckles and mock whispers, "I'm not scared of your father, Madeira-Jade."

And damn if I don't find that unbearably attractive. If we were back in his office, I probably would've kissed him again. No, that's a lie. I definitely would've kissed him again.

Atty asks, "do you want me to stop? I understand if-"

"No, I like this."

He grins, his vibrant green eyes lighting up brighter than they already were. "Okay then, good."

"Atticus?" Dad asks. Uh oh, looks like Atty's going to have to live his earlier words.

"Matt?" Atty replies, with his arm still around my waist.

I'm either dating the bravest man alive, or the dumbest one. Or both. Probably both.

"Can I have a word with you?"

Oh man, my palms are sweating. And the back of my head too. Surprisingly, Atty looks unfazed as he nods and walks off to the other end of the driveway with Dad.

Jay groans and bumps my shoulder with his. "Your dad is going to kill my brother and make me hide the body."

Collette lightly pinches his cheek and coos, "your brother will be fine, relax."

I scrunch my eyebrows. "How do you know?"

"Because," she answers, "Atty survived little Jay."

Jay rolls his eyes and groans again, "Ha ha, hilarious. So funny, I was such a monster."

I giggle and add to the melodrama by recounting all the little-Jay stories Collette told me the past 2 weeks. At one point he very dramatically pretends to be stabbed in the heart, when that doesn't stop us, he makes the mature decision of plugging his ears and humming loudly.