sana geldim

Sanem

Several days later, I walked into Leyla's favorite coffee house to meet up with her when in walks none other than the man who currently stars in all my dreams. He doesn't see me but walks directly over to the counter to place an order. A few minutes later a woman walks in right behind him. They greet each other and I quietly lose my mind. Aylin. They collected their order and strolled right past where I'm standing still as a statue. Aylin looked at me in astonishment but quickly corrected herself and offered a greeting and a fake smile. Can nods slightly before they continued out of the door.

I plopped onto a seat and tried to control my breathing. She was back. This was not good.

*****
The launch party for the new line of creams was underway and I was miserable. Can was here looking devastating in a black suit,
charming the pants off everyone. He hadn’t glanced my way once after giving me a dry greeting when he arrived and even then he looked over my shoulder refusing to meet my gaze. What did I expect? Well, I expected not to feel like my heart was being torn out of my chest every time he smiled that dazzling smile at someone else. I was spending most of my energy avoiding that invisible rope that kept tugging me in whichever direction he was located. He seemed to be looking for someone as he moved about the room. I was in agony and  he had already moved on from whatever this was. I should be making the rounds, after all, I was supposed to be the hostess. But I neglected all my duties and hung around the bar sipping wine and feeling sorry for myself.

This right here was perfect proof that I was doing the right thing by not encouraging him or myself. In a short period of time, he had already turned my life upside down. I heard Leyla laughing at something Emre said and she literally had heart eyes. Ugh. She was in love with him but I thought he seemed indifferent or maybe not as invested as she was. I had the report from the investigation on my desk and I knew I’d have to save Leyla from herself because this had heartache written all over it. But right now I was more concerned with the state of my own heart. I saw a commotion at one of the tables and moved toward it.

“Handsome strapping boys, the both of them." Can's father boomed for everyone within a fifty-mile radius to hear, “Once my Emre marries his heiress then that will throw Can into the path of other heiresses.”

Good lord! I grimaced and moved far away from that spectacle. And then I saw him speaking to some woman I didn't recognize, he said something and she simpered at him like a dimwit. I knew I was being bitchy but this newly discovered possessive streak in my nature was really hard to control where he was concerned. Like in a dream, I found myself moving towards his group without volition and I heard myself ask him to dance. He quickly disguised his shock and politely escorted me to the dance floor still not meeting my eyes.

When he took my hand in his I had to bite my lip to keep from sighing in relief. He, however, was uncharacteristically quiet. Even when I placed my hand on his shoulders, his eyes never met mine. He seemed to be resolved not to speak to me.

Then, as if realizing that making small talk was probably the greater punishment for me, he made some innocuous comments about the party. I remained silent, my feelings churning uncomfortably close to the surface. He kept his body carefully angled away from mine and his hands impersonal where they rested at my waist. It made me feel like crying. 

“It’s your turn to say something now, Miss Aydin.” he smiled but the smile never reached his eyes.

I blinked unable to respond.

“This is the point where you make a comment on the weather or the quality of the canapes or some nonsense," he said in irritation.

“Do you always talk this much while you dance?” I asked.