Epilogue

*CW: a little/lot of steam depending on your tolerance 😘

Can

"Come quick," Ayhan met me at the door.

My heart trashed against my ribs and I mentally went through my checklist while I ran through the door.

"No. No babies yet. Sorry! I forgot that you're a permanent resident of crazy town these days."

I sagged against the wall. "Why would you do that to me?"

"I am trying to save you, my favorite brother in law, don't tell Emre, from a fate most foul," she pronounced this as if she was delivering a Shakespearean soliloquy. "Sanem is in the kitchen," she widened her eyes comically.

"So?" I was trying to modulate my breathing. "I lost ten years of my life just now." The babies were not due yet but twins always came early.

"She's cooking," she said slowly like she was speaking to a child.

I stared at her perplexed.

"Oh my God! You've obviously never tasted her cooking if you're not alarmed."

She made air quotes around cooking.

I shrugged. "She's nesting. All the books say this is normal." All my shirts were now color coordinated and my sock drawer had never been neater. I thought it was adorable.

She threw her hands up.

"Fine. Never say I didn't try to warn you."

I followed her into the kitchen. The cook stood aside with a dismayed and slightly horrified look on her face. My wife was industriously stirring something on the stove and humming to herself. From behind she didn't look pregnant at all but when she turned, I couldn't help but smile every time I saw her giant stomach. I knew she was uncomfortable, her ankles were swollen and her back was making her miserable but she looked more beautiful than ever. I walked up behind her, wrapped my arms around her enormous middle and kissed her shoulder.

"Can!" She turned and kissed me enthusiastically.

"Whoa, guys take it down a notch, " Ayhan complained. "There are children present."

Sanem pulled away reluctantly. "One day dear sister, you'll fall in love and then I'll have my revenge."

"Too late," Ayhan whispered sounding dejected. I frowned but Sanem was pulling me to the stove.

"Look what I made," she said excitedly.

Ayhan whispered, "may the odds be ever in your favor," and ran out of the room.

I peered into the enormous pot and kept my face blank. I had never seen food that color in all my life. I was afraid to ask what it was supposed to be.

"Here," she put a spoon to my lips.

I tasted it and it was just as bad as Ayhan predicted. Maybe worse. I kept my expression neutral. The cook busied herself in another part of the kitchen but I could see her shoulders shaking with laughter.

Sanem looked at me expectantly.

I'd never lied to my wife and I never would. So I took my life in my own hands. "Wow!" I coughed. "It's really bad," I said and got another helping.

"I followed a recipe," she said quietly and I felt like the biggest asshole in the universe.

She took the spoon from me and took a taste. She looked up at me, her face twisting into a grimace and suddenly burst out laughing.

"Oh my God! It's bad. It's so bad, " she choked out between chortles. "How are you eating this?"

"This is probably, no definitely, the worst thing I've ever eaten and I've had MRE's when I was with the Army. I know of what I speak."