23. Stone and Water

"I'll take my leave now

"I'll take my leave now." 

Anna said and without wasting a second she dashed out from the room making all of them chuckled at her in her sudden action.

"Anna, I'll see you later!" Nicolo called out behind her.

"She's very lovely," Marcus said as he stared at her back until she disappeared from the door. Then he turned his gaze towards the portrait, "She reminds me so much of her. Beautiful, innocent, pure and talented." The four of them turn their gaze towards the portrait and stared at it silently.

"I never got the chance to see her," Nicolo said sadly.

"Come here my little tiger," Marcus gestured him to come as he stretched out his hand towards him. Nicolo walked towards him and knelt down before him. "Your Nonna is always with us. She's always looking after you. Don't be sad, if you're sad, your Nonna will be sad too. So be happy always, okay!" He cupped his face and said softly. Nicolo kept his one hand on top of his and nodded at him. "All of you!" he glanced at his grandsons to which they smiled warmly and nodded at him."So how is our guest doing?" He asked.

"He's doing great. He's locked down in the basement."

"There's going to be some more guest expected anytime. The Sylvester's will find ways to retrieve their boss. Stay alert!" Marcus informed them.

"Don't worry, Nonno, the basement is tightly guarded and we have assigned our men around the house," Roberto said.

"Mmmhh—good." Marcus gave them one nod. Then he turned his gazed towards Leo and smiled at him. "Now tell me how are things going on between you and Anna." He raised an eyebrow and gave an amused smile. 

"Nothing!" Leo deadpanned.

"Really!" Roberto raised an eyebrow at his brother. 

"I thought you like her," Nicolo stated.

"He doesn't like her, he loves her, Nicolo." Alesso corrected amusedly to which Nicolo nodded with his mouth opened.

"I don't know what's going on between you two but I would like to give you a bit of advice my son, don't let go of her. You two are perfect for each other. I like her so much and I know you like her too. Escort your girl before other men do." Marcus couldn't help but smile at him amusedly.

"There's never going to be another man," Leo muttered making his brothers laugh at him. 

"Are you sure?" Marcus was trying to play over him. Leo gave a thought about it before looking at his Nonno.

"I got some work. I'll take my leave." Leo ignored their playful gestures and walked out of the room immediately.

*

After escaping from the library, Anna made her way straight through the hallway without looking back. She cupped her burning cheeks and cursed at her stupidity.