30. No Another Man

"You have a very beautiful sister, Sir

"You have a very beautiful sister, Sir." The counter lady smiled brightly to him as she handed his card back.

Anna and Vernon glanced at each other at the Lady's statement and chuckled softly.

"We're not related!" Anna said.

"Oh-I'm so sorry. You two really look alike so I thought-I'm so sorry, ma'am." The counter lady apologies, bowing down her head in manner.

"No, it's alright. It's not a big deal." Anna said and smile to her.

"Thank you for visiting. Have a good evening." The lady said courtly as she bowed down in respect.

"So finally your work is done. I'll see you around." Anna said once they made out of the store. It was already dawn.

"You sound like you wanted to get rid of me this whole time." Vernon pointed out.

"No!" Anna snapped. Then she received a call from Jasmine.

"Yes, Jasmine."

"You still in the library, little sis!"

"No, I'm heading home now."

"Could you please do me a favour? Can you stop by the convenient store and buy me some tampons. I almost forgot that tomorrow is the day and I forgot to buy one." Anna felt Vernon chuckle beside her and she went wide eyes open thinking that he has heard Jasmine's words already.

"Ah-you're so loud. Hang up now." Anna said and cut the call and look up at Vernon but to her surprise, he shoved her to the side and came forth like he was shielding her from something bad. He quickly took out his gun from his waistband and shoot forward. Soon she heard guns being fired. The people around started screaming at the sudden open fires and ran here and there. Anna saw Vernon being knelt to the ground as he gritted tightly, his one hand holding the gun and his other hand tightly pressed on his abdomen. Then she realised that he's been shot, he took the bullet for her. She quickly moved towards him and help him up.

"Where's your car?" she asked.

"Over there!" He gestured under his groan.

She helped him to his car and at the same time looked around for any another danger. Instead of going to the hospital, she drove directly to her house.

"Where are we?" Vernon asked looking through the windshield.

"My house. C'mon, we have to take out the bullet before it's too late." Anna scurried as she helped him out from his car. Vernon looked at her in confusion but didn't say anything. They made inside the house, then to her room as she doesn't want her mother to see the mess when she return if he was kept in the common hall.

"Anna, your home finally." Jasmine came out from her room and her eyes went wide when she saw Anna and Vernon. "Oh my god! What happened to him?" She shrieked in alarmed and she made her way towards them.