CHAPTER 12

Lief found Jasmine sitting on a tree branch. She wore her usual attire. The she wore when he met her in the Forest of silence. He was glad to see that Lucian was nowhere to be seen.

"What are you doing here?" Her ability to sense movement, never seized to amaze him.

"I need to talk to you."

"Don't you think it's too late for that." Jasmine jumped down from the tree, in one swift leap, landing in front of Lief. "I waited for you, but you never came."

" I know and I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Lucian was there to do the job you were meant to do." Jasmine pointed an accusing finger towards his chest.

"You're not leaving anymore?"

"Not yet anyways. So what did you want to talk about." Jasmine placed her hands on her hips, impatiently waiting for Lief to start his speech.

"Can we sit down?" Without giving him an answer, Jasmine marched past him toward the park benches near the pond. Lief ran a hand through his hair and followed her.

"We are seated , now talk." Lief tried to take Jasmine's hand, but she moved it out of his reach.

"I've being horrible to you." Scoffing, Jasmine folds her arms across her chest.

"You don't say." She cocked her head to the side, emphasizing her sarcasm.

"I said a lot of things, I didn't mean and have continually pushed you away. So much, that you ran to someone else for comfort."

"You practically dumped me in his arms, actually."

"Jasmine, please let me talk. This is hard enough without you talking."

"Fine."

"I know what I did was wrong and trust me I regret it. Every time I see you with Lucian, its feel like a knife is plunging deeper into my heart. I can't take it anymore. I need you back. I want you, only you."

Jasmine remains silent for a while, not knowing what to say to Lief's confession. "Jasmine, say something."

"So, all this time you were pushing me away because..."

"I had to do what was best for the kingdom."

"And I would ruin it? Why did you decide now was the time?"

"No Jasmine... I didn't want to put my personal feelings over what was best for the kingdom."

"I love how you avoided my questions." Jasmine rolled her eyes and stood up. "The thing is, you can't waltz into my life and demand me back. I have someone else. You had your chance and blew it. I'm sorry Lief, but whatever was between us is over."

Jasmine walks away refusing to give Lief the satisfaction of seeing her cry. She needed to get out of there before the tears started falling. What was wrong with her? Why was she being so weak? The castle has made her soft. The sooner she left the better.

Jasmine ran to her room and started to pack.

"Jasmine." Jasmine stilled her movements, hoping Lucian would go away. "Jasmine, I know you're in there, I saw you go inside. What happen? Please talk to me." Begrudgingly, Jasmine opened the door and stepped aside to let Lucian in.

"Lief happened. After everything, he tried to make up with me. I'm going away."

"To the forest?"

"No. To the forge. It's far away from this prison but not so far that I can't come to visit."

"What did Lief say?" Lucian came around to sit on Jasmine's bed. He patted the spot next to him. She shook her head and resumed packing.

"He told me he loves me and was wrong to push me away. He said he wanted to do what was best for the kingdom and marrying a crazy witch would destroy it." At this point Jasmine had started shoving her clothes into her traveling bag with more force than necessary. "Who would want a queen who is a wild girl. Stupid Lief." Jasmine walked across the room to gather more of her belongings. Lucian just sat quietly in thought. Jasmine snapped her head around waiting for Lucian to start speaking. "Well, aren't you going to give me your two cents opinion.?"