3 - HP

Cold sterile air flooded Kenneth's nose as he inhaled deeply. His eyes cracked open and he groaned. His body ached underneath the thin hospital blankets. The lights were dim, thankfully, and didn't burn into his vision as he sluggishly looked around the room. His eyes caught on the powered down nurse bot before turning to the only bot moving in the room. He squirmed up to prop himself on his elbows.

His chest ached deep inside, but he ignored it. His chest had ached for years, ever since he'd run to escape his mother. With a gasp, he found his breath shorter than before and his stomach clenched. Sinking back, he coughed.

The bot moved to his side, it's white and blue stripes denoting its status as the primary doctor. Blue eyes stared at him from the round flat head. Kenneth was pretty sure it was scanning him. He shrank back, pulling his arms around himself. Warily, he watched the bot check all of the fluids in various lines running into his arms. He parted his lips, struggling to gather the breath and courage to speak. "...Excuse me," he whispered faintly.

The bot's attention snapped to him. It paused and looked down, lowering its stubby hands. "Yes."

"What's...What's wrong. With me?" Kenneth asked, panting gently. His fingernails dug into his thin loose skin as he tried to control his breathing. Cold gripped him as the bot reached out towards him. Its extended hand stopped a few inches short of Kenneth and a new display appeared. Kenneth knew it was his medical scans, he'd seen them plenty of times. This time his chest was a pulsing red on the scan, though.

The bot's head lowered. "You suffered a pre-mature heart attack. Your COPD condition is now critical. Death is estimated in one month."

Kenneth's ice froze in his veins. His short breath hitched and he launched into a wet coughing fit. Pressing a hand to chest, he struggled to control his racing pulse. He turned his head, pitching it back to cough as a shudder gripped him. His eyes cracked open again and he sank back as he gave the bot a pale look. "Let. Me. Guess--"

"Advised course of action is a lung transplant. You will gain priority on the list when you apply to ensure care."

Kenneth closed his eyes and shook his head. He pressed his hand to his chest, feeling his heart pump harder with each breath. "You know. I can't afford it."

The bot put it's hand down. The display disappeared as it backed off a step. "I am not authorized to offer financial advice."

"I know...Just tell. Them no," Kenneth whispered. He shivered and pulled the blanket to his chin. Swallowing, he glanced around the room weakly again. Goosebumps crawled over his skin as he thought of dying here. He shook his head, trying to rid his mind of the morbid thought.

Its head dipped once. "We will commence end of life care. Should you require further assistance please alert the nurse bot," the doctor bot stated and turned on its repulsors to leave the room.

Kenneth threw a hand out after it, struggling back up. He hunched up, hugging the blanket to his chest and body. "Wait. Can. Can you hand me. My headset?" he gasped. His eyes turned to the VR headset hanging out of his reach. It was his only escape from the dank room and the smell of antiseptic. Plus, he couldn't risk making the girl--he thought he remembered her name being Byrd--wait around any longer for him. I need a break from this place anyway, and the...Tears tried to moisten his eyes as he thought of the decisions hanging over him. He shook his head and laid it on his knees instead, waiting. He'd made his decision. His welfare covered the hospital stay and nothing more. Even if he could somehow get approved for a loan, how would he contact someone for that? He was stuck here, surrounded by inhuman doctors and nurses dying from a disease he'd contracted in all those dark alleys. The dark alleys he thought would protect him from a childhood of abuse. A tear slid down his cheek.