20 - Event Battle

Sunlight broke through the window instead of the moonlight that had been there two minutes ago. Kenneth lifted his head, surprised he didn't feel still. Then again, his avatar couldn't really stiffen up unless his actual body did and he hadn't truly been laying here for eight hours.

Sitting up, he let the blanket slide off him to the floor as he yawned instinctively and looked over at Byrd. She was just now beginning to rouse from where she'd huddled up into the corner and sat to sleep. Her arms emerged from the blanket to stretch out in front of her as she yawned and rubbed at her face.

"I feel like I took a whole two-minute powernap," she grumbled and shifted forward to crawl off the edge of the cot and stand up. 

Kenneth stared past her and spotted two small forms now sleeping on the bed and other cot. David and Amanda had returned. Another yawn overtook Kenneth and he covered his mouth with his hand as he stretched out his back. "Yeah."

"Well, I suppose a powernap never hurt." Byrd got to her feet and folded up the blanket hastily before laying it back down on the bed. Kenneth looked over at his own blanket and then reached out and picked it up. He folded it slowly, his arms feeling a little heavy still. Was he actually getting tired or had he simply tricked his body into thinking it needed to be more lethargic than it was?

He shrugged and laid the neatly folded blanket at the head of the bed before rising to his own feet. He scanned the room. David was snoring a little bit. The kid was funny. He was safe here now, though, and he needed to stay with his sister. They couldn't take care of him forever.

The rest of the game world called, and there was still much to see. Kenneth's eyes cut to Byrd as she was stretching out her arms and inspecting the world outside the little window. He looked down at his feet. She saw everything. Every little detail, and she'd see through him eventually. I can't stay with her. I mean, she's got people to go back to anyway, remember?

He swallowed a bit and stuck his hands in his pockets. "Hey, whatever happened to your friend from when we met. You mentioned they'd gone off to somewhere or something? You sure they're not worried about you being gone so long?"

Byrd's head snapped back his direction and cocked to one side. She chewed her lower lip a moment then her eyebrows lifted. "Oh, right, Oli. I forgot we logged on together." She scratched absently at the side of her temple. "I mean, he left at the start to go solo questing and hasn't messaged me since. I'm sure he thinks I'm fine. Why?"

Kenneth shrugged a bit. "Just...curious." He looked away and moved towards the door. Pushing aside the cloth flap that served at the door, he peeked out. It was bright. Something fell in front of his vision, though, and he started before recognizing the bedraggled flower crown. It was finally coming apart. He patted the top of his head. I must've forgotten about it when I fell asleep, he thought as he picked the last few bits out of his hair. It fell into his hand and promptly disappeared as the flowers finally died. Kenneth watched the particles waft off into the air. He sighed.

"So, where you wanna go today?" Byrd asked as she stepped up to the other side of the doorway.

Kenneth jumped and looked back over at her. He shrugged a bit. "Don't know. I was just thinking on it, though."

She rubbed her thumb to her lips. "Hm, maybe we should grab that truck and see about making it back to a neutral settlement. Though...you should keep driving."

"Right." 

Byrd slipped outside and stretched out her arms some. She leaned her head back before starting to walk down towards the large dining hall. "I'm going to get breakfast, wanna come?"