11 - Cutscene

"You said you live in the city, but where in the city?" Byrd asked, now leaning forward onto her knees with her chin propped up on her palm.

Kenneth watched her from where he'd leaned his head against the backseat and his small contented smile tugged back into a frown. He blinked. I can't tell her I live in the hospital...I suppose the hospital's general location might work.

"Around the center of the city," he answered, swallowing. She's not out to get me, just curious. I started this anyway. Still, his heart pounded faster in his chest and he looked down, picking at the threads of his jacket again. A swatch of sunlight had fallen between them as the truck hummed over the road. Wherever they were going couldn't be close. Kenneth had determined that much, but there wasn't much to do on the way there. He'd already tried the lock a couple of minutes ago and they were stuck in the cab, which meant the game didn't want them jumping out.

"Ah, okay!" She fell silent a moment after that. Kenneth glanced up, noticing her gaze had turned out the back window of the truck, staring at the landscape still racing by. He swallowed. She's probably waiting on me...or did I make stuff awkward? He tugged hard at the stubborn thread. It didn't snap and he let it go. Why is socializing and talking to people so hard? 

"Got any pets?" she asked after a moment, looking back up at him. 

He blinked and then shook his head. "No..." he hesitated and thought back, pressing the memories of his mother out of his mind as he thought back to home. The day his dad brought in the little brown box carrying two fluffy small animals. A smile touched his lips again. "I used to have two guinea pigs, though. Sandpaper and Waffles," he chuckled, "Don't ask how I came up with the names."

Byrd laughed and threw her head back, shaking it as she grinned. "That's so cute!" she said. "Don't worry, I won't ask."

Kenneth sank forward onto his own knees a little and nodded, his smile widening as he listened to her laugh. Peeking up, he waited for her to calm down a bit. "What about you?"

Pointing a finger at herself, she leaned in as well. "Me? I have a cat. She's a demon cat, but she has a sister who is the sweetest thing alive and so fat! Their names are Miss Priss and Acorn. Acron is the sweet one and Miss Priss is the diva queen--as the name implies. I love them so much, honestly..." her cheeks flushed pink as she put her hand to her face. Her sheepish grin crawled up to her eyes, though.

Kenneth couldn't help but feel his own lips curl into a brighter smile at the light in her face. "They sound like a handful." 

"Tiny bit," she giggled, indicating with her fingers before hiding her face behind her sleeve again. "I love them to bits, though. Always will. I'm determined to become an old cat woman."

His eyebrows lifted. "Somehow...that doesn't surprise me."

"You look like you could be an old cat man," Byrd said. She rubbed at her chin a moment. "Though, might need to throw a dog in the mix too."

He put a hand to his chest and leaned back. "Not actually sure if I'm honored or hurt by that." 

She laughed, sinking down into the ball she'd made herself into, giggling behind her sleeve and flushing pink all over again. He just shook his head and chuckled with her, forgetting briefly the game around them. Eventually, he sank back and leaned into the leather of the seat, trailing his fingers along the lines of light cutting between them. As he laughter bubbled off into silence, he racked his brain for another question. What did people ask each other when they'd barely just met? 

"So...you have any siblings?" 

She sat up some, straightening her sleeves and crossing one leg over the other as she stretched out. He looked down at her feet, inches from his leg, but didn't move. Instead, he dragged his eyes back up to her face.