16 - Frame

The lights faded in and out as Kenneth slept to the best of his ability through the long night. Even with only four short hours until morning, they managed to stretch into eight or ten inside of his mind as he squirmed from one side of the bed to the other. His hazy eyes cracked open from time to time to search the room and ensure she hadn't returned. She never did. 

He cracked his eyes open for good around eight in the morning, though, and cast another glance at the empty chairs. A sigh passed his lips as his shoulders relaxed and he rubbed groggily at his eyes. Pulling his knees up, he slowly shifted up and propped himself against the pillows, shivering. They had to keep this place frigid all morning. It's like they want to cryo-freeze us or something, he thought as he tucked his chin into his knees and the soft fabric of his hospital-issued pants. His gut twisted and Kenneth made a slight face as he tried to shove down the feeling of hunger gurgling up into his throat. 

The bots would get here around 9 am and bring breakfast. There was no point in summoning them sooner. Sleep wasn't going to kill the time either. He yawned into his knees and closed his eyes. Staring at the back of his eyelids did nothing, though, and he opened his eyes again after a moment. When would she be back? His eyes turned to the chairs. Was she ever here to begin with or was it all a bad dream? He hoped so. Still, as he flexed his fingers, he could feel her clammy bony hands gripping his. Fingers like talons, ready to dig into his flesh. He shivered and shook his hands out quickly. 

I gotta find something to do. 

Reaching out, Kenneth grabbed up the headset from the edge of the bed. How he'd kept it from being knocked off in all his writhing, heh ad no idea, but that didn't matter now. He pulled the rig over his head with mildly shaking hands and took a deep breath as the front covered his face and eyes. The weight settled over his skull and pressed down onto his hair. It wasn't heavy, just enough of a snug weighted fit to keep itself from falling off if he were to move. It was comfortable. Like a tiny hug around his head from a good friend. He scooted to lay down again and tapped the power button on the side.

Starting up...

Kenneth chewed at his lip and tried not to twist his hands too far into the blankets as he watched the grey screen. Byrd will be there--wait. No. she's at church probably, or getting ready for church. I think? They still do church in the morning, right?

His fingers paused and he let go of the blanket. It had been years since he'd set foot in a church. Occasionally, his father had taken them as kids and let them go to Sunday school where they got snacks and prizes for knowing little random Bible facts. Psalm 23. That had been an important one. 

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. Thou art with me. 

Funny language, but it had stuck in Kenneth's head all these years. Maybe it was the language that helped that. He exhaled gently as the screen began to brighten. Dad probably would've had them in a church right now if he was still around. How much would be different if he was still around? Sure, he could never stop mom, but maybe, just maybe, if he'd survived, he would've worked up the nerve to do something about it. Maybe not. 

Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. 

Kenneth swallowed and pushed the rest of the verse from his mind as the screen began to pixelate and generate. The world surrounded him in an instant as if it had been created fresh before his very eyes. He took in a deep breath of air and exhaled quickly before the pain that would inevitably accompany the action got to him in-game. 

She wasn't here after all. Kenneth frowned and looked over at the grassy hill. He hesitated as he spotted the little figure curled up on the grass snoring. A smile touched Kenneth's lips and he scooted over to sit beside the boy. A moment passed and his smile fell as he gazed back towards the little speck that was the detention center. David would probably never see his mother again. Does he know that? Does he even remember? I mean, sure, he's an NPC, but still...