23 - Loading

It was quiet without all the usual players around. Kenneth slipped out of the front seat of the truck and dropped to the ground. His boots hit the pavement with a smack and he straightened up. 

"I could get some new weapons...or maybe upgrade my tech." He pursed his lips and looked down at his inventory. He didn't carry many weapons, there wasn't much use for them outside of event battles except for the occasional defense and hunting. His lips twisted into a frown.

"Gear it is, I suppose," he mused aloud and then looked to the town. Shoving his hands in his pockets, he wandered into the little town and glanced around. The quests might not be running, but that meant he could go shopping without having to worry about crowds, wait time, and supply. Plus, it was quieter. He looked up to the leaves waving on the trees overhanging the peaceful town and let his shoulders slump and relax.

The quiet was nice. Still, he thought as he glanced to his side some and bit back a frown. 

Passing the gates into the town itself, Kenneth examined the eyes of the NPC's watching him. They were gaunt things. Whoever designed the game had done a decent job of varying the ethnicity, type, and body style of each NPC, right down to if they had freckles or not, yet everyone here had a sickly thin look to them. Kenneth's eyes darted around the streets.

This town is a little ways off the beaten path, but not that far? At least I didn't think so. Is business here really that bad, or is this just how they are? He looked away when one tanned woman caught his eye and he shifted his gaze to the ground. Gear. Focus on finding the right gear. His eyes flickered to his inventory. There were still two days left in the main event, but he could wander around till then. He tapped the bar and enlarged it, pausing to the side of the main path and ducking under the shadow of an abandoned shop stall. 

"I have a handheld computer...my pistol which I don't need to upgrade...basic tools, code scrambler--wait, I have that?" He paused and pulled it out, examining the tool. "That would've been useful earlier." He frowned a bit and just shrugged. "Oh well." Putting the scrambler back into his inventory, Kenneth continued to take stock. He came up with about ten electronics, all of them still basic level.

No wonder I'm still stuck at intermediate, I need to level up my gear if I'm gonna advance in skills. He closed out the tab and looked around, shading his eyes. "Gear shop...gear shop..." He compressed his lips and conceded to finding the map. 

Finger tracing over the paths and locating his current spot, he traced out a quick route to the nearest gear shop. It appeared down to the left so he closed the map and headed down that way. The eyes followed him. Kenneth hunched his shoulders forward and pulled his coat down with his hands as he walked. 

Where are you? Hello? Are you ignoring me? 

Byrd had messaged him several times that morning, and the night before. He hadn't replied, but he could hear her pleas in their haunted eyes. Begging for an answer. He stared at the ground and picked up the pace mildly. How do I answer her without telling her what's going on? I can't. She'll stop eventually. Please...just stop.

The artificial wind rustled the trees in the background with a roar like a horde of animals. Kenneth tried to push it out of his mind, but there was nothing else to focus on. He lifted his eyes to peer through his curly hair and counted off the steps in his head.

One...two...three...ten... the shops moved by and he picked up the pace even more. Was this how the map had it? He wasn't sure, but it looked right. There was supposed to be a bar on the corner, then two more blocks of vendors and stalls selling relatively the same items, then the gear shop.