6 - Play

"You're awake! What happened?" Byrd's worried face filled Kenneth's vision as he blinked his eyes open in-game and took a deep breath. He sat up, flinching back from her and hugging his knees to his chest. It took a couple of deep breaths before he mustered up an answer for her.

"I'm fine, just a little episode," he half-lied as he stared at the ground. His fingers twisted the laced of his character's boots, pulling out the pre-tied bows they came with. The bow regenerated properly tied. He glanced up, looking at her furrowed brow. She was chewing heavily on her lower lip, rubbing at her chin.

"That doesn't seem 'fine' to me," she said after a moment. Shifting closer, she gave him a critical once over. Kenneth stiffened and looked back down at the ground. A cough welled up in his chest outside the game and he tried to hide it in his sleeve.

"It's just some light medical stuff," he admitted after a moment, hoping that would get her to relax. "Nothing major," he coughed and hunched his shoulders forward.

Her hand rested on his shoulder. Kenneth flinched and jerked back. His head shot up as he shimmied away from her hand and scooted back. His own hands wrapped around his shoulders protectively as he inhaled and exhaled deeply.

Byrd's face contorted in concern. She didn't come any closer, though, holding her hand in mid-air a moment. Then she dropped it in her lap and leaned in without getting close. "Hey, I didn't mean to pry...or hurt you. Are you okay?" Her brown eyes squinted, creasing her forehead.

Heart pounding, Kenneth twisted his fingers in the hair on the nape of his neck. He kept his head down, avoiding her eyes directly. He mustered up a bit of courage and nodded, even knowing it was a lie. His stomach sank, though, realizing she wouldn't buy it. She sees right through this...and I am, you know...acting weird. He blew out a quiet sigh, dipping his head lower a moment. Then he lifted it and swallowed down the fear roiling in his stomach.

"I'd rather no touch, that's all," he said. "I'm kinda sick and not feeling well. I'm fine to play the game but I might have to leave every now and then," he offered. Half-truths. They'd worked on his mom to keep her out of his business. He hoped they'd work on Byrd so they could move forward. He rubbed his neck, wanting to get up and move.

Her head tilted to one side, then she stood up. "Alright. You don't have to tell me everything. No-touch I can do. Sorry if I freaked you out earlier," she said, oddly serious. Her tone barely rose above a monotone. She started to stick out her hand to help him up, then returned it hesitantly to her pocket. "Sorry," she whispered.

Rising slowly, Kenneth got to his feet. He tested his balance a moment, half expected to pass out again. Nothing happened, and he stayed standing. His shoulders slumped a little as he hooked his thumbs in his waistband again. "It's okay. I probably should've made mention of that earlier."

She nodded. He frowned and looked away some, lips compressing. Good job, you probably just freaked out the only person in this game who cares. Oh well, we do better on our own anyway. He stared down at his boots, wondering where to go.

Byrd turned, shading her eyes. "So, quest? If you're still up for it?" she glanced back, a bit of light returning to her face. She quirked a questioning smile, raising an eyebrow.

Kenneth looked up and blinked. He stood there, then nodded quickly. "Yeah, quest. You still wanna go on one, with me, I mean?"

She shrugged and turned. "Yeah? Why wouldn't I?"

He lifted his hands and then stuffed them in his pants pockets. "Dunno. Nevermind weird thought. Yeah, let's go. This way," he said, remembering he'd been leading her. He pointed off down the road and started to walk, kicking up CGI rocks.