26 -Tether

Ten minutes left. Kenneth's eyes skipped around the room as the cleaning bots carried out the tray of food he'd failed to eat. He looked down at his side, thankful they'd disconnected the feeding tube at his promise to eat real food. Hunching forward, he peeked up at the clock again. Only ten seconds had passed.

I can do this. I can do this. His eye threatened to skirt to the safe where the headset was, but he kept them forward on the clock, watching the seconds tick down one by one. Maybe I should just slip it out and see about getting on the game. Why am I even thinking of taking it with me anyway?

He peered down at his hands and closed his eyes. No, I'm gonna leave it here. It can't save me, nothing can.

Clenching his hands into fists he inhaled and exhaled. The oxygen clicked and Kenneth tried not to think of the stabbing pain inside of his chest. He peeked back at the monitors. Will I even be able to make it without the oxygen? Maybe I don't need to make it to the bridge, maybe I just need to get out from under their eyes and let the disease do the rest.

His skin crawled at the idea. He shivered and hugged himself as cold oxygen coursed through his veins and down into his lungs. He exhaled slowly. Don't think too hard about it. It won't take long. Getting out is the hardest part, then I can rest. He dipped his head between his knees for a moment. When he lifted his head and peeked up at the clock the lights in the room dimmed and went out. Right on schedule.

10 pm. Kenneth tried not to make eye contact with whatever camera might be watching him as he reached over and grabbed at the small portable oxygen and IV machine beside the bed. He unhooked the long plastic lines and rehooked them into the small box. The bots did this every time, and he'd done it a few times before, but he found the movements harder with the cold shaking of his hands. Still, he got them connected and he picked up the box. His other hand found the plastic bag he'd requested earlier and he hugged both to his chest. Slowly, he put both feet on the floor.

His eyes lifted to the empty chairs and he was silently thankful she hadn't tried to come in and wish him a good night. I ran away once, I can do this again. He rose, gripping the edge of the bed for support. The floor was frigid. He shifted across the floor and then paused, his eyes lifting to the safe. Could they see him? Heck, who cared if they did. His eyes fixed on the buttons. One last look, at the only world that accepted me. That's all I want. So I don't have to face the darkness.

He reached up. The keys were like ice under these fingers as he pressed each button and repeated the code he'd seen earlier. Two-Nine-One-Two. The light flashed green and the safe popped open. Kenneth reached inside. He grabbed the plastic headset out before he could stop himself and clutched it to his chest as he closed the safe again. It locked and he shuffled off towards the bathroom. On reaching it, he sank down and sat on the floor shivering. Air rushed in and out of the respirator faster, his heartbeat pounding like sore drums inside his chest. He inhaled slowly and exhaled, then he unfolded himself from his curled up position and dropped the plastic bag the headset to the floor. They crunched and clattered with deafening sounds. Kenneth held his breath and finally released it when his chest began to ache. With tremblings fingers, he got the bag open and pulled out his clothes. They'd been too big when they found him, so here was hoping they fit now.

Carefully, he dressed. The pants were still too big and the shirt swallowed him, but at least the shoes were about the right size. He got the clothing adjusted to fit as best it would, though, and then stuffed his hospital gown in the bag. He paused and put a hand to the wall, taking long deep breaths from the respirator. His eyes fell to the box. The moment of truth.

Scooping it up, he turned it off. The oxygen stopped and then the IV and he felt the pressure in the lines go lax. He pulled off the respirator and took a deep inhale of the normal air around him. His stomach tightened and he tried not to gag at the stale smell. Closing his eyes for a brief moment he waited until the feeling passed, then he cracked his eyes and looked at the IV.