Prologue

Uhm how is she so beautiful?? Of course Eleanor is the FC BECAUSE I LITERALLY COULD NOT STOP MYSELF

Ailbe had never been normal. She'd never fit and she never would.

Though her village adored her, she would simply never live like everyone else. Her friends and sisters grew, fell in love, married. At eighteen she had never even felt another's lips on her own. After all, what man would wish to love a girl who had been marked and tarnished with sightlessness?

Despite this, no one could dislike the girl for the simple and unwavering fact that her entire demeanor seemed to be filled with light. Perhaps she may never know love in the marital sense, but she found love all around her everyday. Be it in the gentle breeze and hum of birds, or the friendly "Hellos" she exchanged with neighbours. To all, she was the sweetest sight and sound. She was the light in the darkness and the sun in the rain.

Even as a child, other children could not bring themselves to tease or bully her. They'd tried it on many occasions, and she'd gone so far as to bless them and gently hand them flowers in a show of kindness.

She should've been an easy target, but who could be cruel to someone so pure?

Although the people never beat her down, she noted the mutters and chuckles she received when she stumbled into something. She recalled the mumbles as she walked through the street humming a tune, simply minding her own business. People simply couldn't help themselves.

Though the world thought fondly of her, they never cared so much as to be truly close to her. They lived their own lives and had their own problems, and none spared time for the lonely little blind girl. And lonely she was.

No one knew her solitude or understood the emptiness that filled her further everyday. No hate grew in her heart, for she seemed incapable of such an emotion, but she could feel this overwhelming sorrow.

Would she always be alone, never knowing the company of another? Would no one ever understand her and lift this burden? Would she ever find hope in the embrace of someone just as lonely as herself? Everyday she hoped so, but everyday it seemed less and less likely.

That was, of course, until he came.