Chapter 8

Since Ailbe found she had no commitments to her mother that day, she spent it as she usually would

Since Ailbe found she had no commitments to her mother that day, she spent it as she usually would. Around the village she travelled, ensuring that everyone there was well.

The people loved seeing her and always invited her into their homes. The warmth of her presence was enough to lift any sorrow or sickness. She was like an angel.

"How is he?" Ailbe asked, gesturing to her nephew in the corner. Eavann was the second oldest child in their family, and only a year younger than Ailbe. At seventeen she was already married with a beautiful son. However, her son Brian had recently grown sick and, as always, Ailbe took it upon herself to care for the small child.

"Better, thanks to you." Eavann hugged her older sister tightly, a warm smile pressed upon her lips. "He's outside if you'd like to see him."

Ailbe nodded, carefully walking through the less familiar home to find her way into their back garden. She couldn't see the boy, but she could hear his laughter, and that instantly made her heart well with joy. She'd always wanted children of her own but feared that she never would. Most men feared their offspring would be as broken as her if they chose to marry her, and so she had remained alone. Even so, it was her who always looked after the sick children in their village and played with them when their parents were otherwise engaged. And so, she was never truly alone.

"Aunt Ailbe!" The boy yelled. "Look out!"

Before the young girl could react, she was tackled to the ground by a fluffy creature that licked her face affectionately. Ailbe laughed hysterically beneath her sister's dog, slowly sitting up in front of it.

The dog barked, wagging its tail at her, and at this she returned its sentiment. "Ruff!" She chuckled to mimic the animal, hugging it closely.

Brian toddled closer, wrapping his tiny arms around her cheerily. "Hello." He smiled.

"Hello little one," She greeted, hugging him. "How are you feeling?"

"Well thank you." He beamed.

"I've missed you very much." She smiled, placing a soft kiss on the top of his head.

"I missed you too." He answered sweetly, before quickly turning his attention to other matters. "I heard that you were with Vikings!"

Ailbe nodded cheerily, her smile growing at the thought of the Norsemen. "I was." She answered.

"What are they like?" He asked curiously, ever enthralled by tales of the men from the North.

Ailbe pondered his question for a moment, thinking back to Hvitserk and Ivar specifically. "Pleasant." She answered. "Nothing like the Saxons."

"Will you fight with them? In a war?" The boy persisted.

Ailbe's face fell a little at the mention of war. She hated such things. The thought of all that misery and pain broke her heart. "I don't fight." She reminded him gently. "You know that."

"Ailbe?" Eavann's voice pulled her from her thoughts suddenly.

"Yes?" She spoke softly.

"Someone came to say there's a feast tonight." Her sister informed her, knowing that she would soon have to leave. "Would you take Brian with you?" She asked. "He's been begging to go to one."

Ailbe nodded warmly, standing and taking hold of her little nephew's hand. They were, of course, followed by the friendly bundle of fur beside them but neither minded. Instead, the band of three continued on their way to the hall with laughter filling the air around them.

Ailbe skipped along with her nephew and his dog until finally reaching the Hall. They knocked open the door with a gust of wind and faces full of joyous laughter.

"And that's how they trick you," Ailbe concluded. "Never trust a Faerie."

Everyone looked at her when she came in, but of course she didn't see them. She simply continued on as she usually would, not noticing the many pairs of eyes that hand landed on her.

"Ailbe." Her mother spoke finally, causing the girl to slowly lower her nephew to the ground so that he walked on his own.

"Mother," She beamed.

"We've talked about bringing that dog in here." Her mother scolded, making the girl pout and look up innocently.

"Please?" She tried, but it was no use. Her mother just glared sternly, making the girl walk outside to tie the dog up to a post.

Okay so some cute Ailbe/Ivar moments are coming in the next few chapters :)))))
-Rhi