Chapter 17

Ailbe had been on her feet for hours, tirelessly tending to those wounded in the battle

Ailbe had been on her feet for hours, tirelessly tending to those wounded in the battle. Although it was a victory, that did not mean men and women were not hurt.

It was Hvitserk who finally pulled her away, telling her that he needed to speak with her. He seemed more serious than usual, but Ailbe simply assumed that it was to do with Ivar. Although they were brothers, they seemed to argue a lot. And she supposed she understood why Hvitserk would sometimes lose his temper with his little brother. After all, Ivar wasn't exactly the easiest person to get along with in the world. In fact, he was probably the opposite.

"Are you alright?" She asked gently as they stepped outside. Blood stained her white dress and her hands. Her sightless eyes seemed tired, but that bright sunshine still shone cheerily inside them.

"I'm fine." He answered her with a concerned expression. "It's you I'm worried about."

"Me?" She asked with a smile, not quite understanding his sentiment. "Although I appreciate the concern, I don't-"

"I saw you and Ivar earlier." He cut her off. "And I know that you care about him, that you want to help him, but some people just can't be helped. Ivar is one of those people. I know you want to find good in him, but there isn't any."

"You're wrong." She defended. It was one of those rare occasions where her gentle demeanor seemed to falter with hints of anger. But most importantly, it was sadness. Had Ivar's family really given up on him? How could they do that to him? It made no sense. They should all be here with him, helping him. Instead, he had only Hvitserk. And even Hvitserk seemed to dislike him.

"We grew up with a girl just like you." He began calmly. His words weren't harsh, and there was true concern in his eyes. "Her name was Signy." He continued, sorrow in his voice when he mentioned her. "She was patient and kind like no one else in Kattegat and for most of our lives she was Ivar's only real friend." Ailbe listened carefully, soaking in every piece of information. "She went away to save her sister, and when I saw her again she'd changed. She was still the kindest person I knew, and she was like a sister to me, but everyday she became more and more like him. When Ivar went to war against our brothers, she came to help him. He got her killed. And he'll do the same thing to you."

"I'm sorry about your friend Hvitserk, but I'm not her." She answered. "And her dying in battle, as awful as it may have been, was not Ivar's fault."

"He's not a good person, Ailbe." Hvitserk argued, still praying to the gods that she would see sense before she got hurt. "And he'll hurt you like he hurts everyone. Don't believe me? Ask him about Sigurd."

There was that name again. And again, Hvitserk said it with such pain and anger. "Who is Sigurd?" She asked, a little quieter.

"Ask Ivar." He answered abruptly, shaking his head with disappointment. "And then tell me that he is still a good person."

Sorry it's so short and I'm sorry chapters have been so slow this week. I've been away and I haven't had much chance to write but I'm back and I'm catching up on the writing as fast as I can.

If you didn't catch on, Signy is from another book I wrote called "Queen Of Hearts". Idk why but I just really wanted to link them together.

Anywayyyyyyys love y'all and happy New Year!!

-Rhiannon