Chapter 16

The battle was long and arduous, but in the end it was the Viking/Celt army that succeeded

The battle was long and arduous, but in the end it was the Viking/Celt army that succeeded. Ailbe waited for what felt like an eternity, silently screaming in fear that she might never hear them again.

But when they returned, oh she had never heard a sound so beautiful in all her life. It was like the heavens opened up.

"Ivar!" She called out, hoping to find him, but she found him much faster than expected when he pulled her over to him. With one hand gripping his crutch, his other remained in his hand as he looked down at the slightly startled girl. She quickly realised who it was, and he watched as her face softened. "You're alright." She beamed a smile that seemed to brighten the world.

"I told you I'd be fine." He assured her with a cocky smirk that she couldn't see but could certainly hear.

"I was worried." She answered truthfully, with that blush that he'd grown so fond of.

"About me?" He grinned, but for the first time in a long time it was genuine. It was all genuine. She was this amazing ray of light that had come into his life and when he thought he was incapable of love - there she was.

"Who else?" She whispered with a small smile.

Ivar moved his free hand up to her cheek, mimicking his actions from many nights before. He should've done this a long time ago, but it felt like every moment he wanted to it was all torn away. Perhaps he was afraid, afraid of what would happen if he allowed himself to get close to her. But in that moment, as he was high from his victory, all that fear dispersed and was replaced with something that yelled from inside him to just do it.

Ailbe's cheeks flushed as she felt him so close to her, but ever so slightly she leaned closer. It was almost magnetic, the both of them just yearning for one another.

As Ivar drew closer, his lips mere millimeters from hers, Hvitserk yelled him again. But this time, he didn't let the moment end with the interruption. As Ailbe was about to pull away at the sound of his brother's voice, he pulled her back and crashed their lips together.

For once he didn't want to feel bitter and alone anymore. Whatever this feeling that Ailbe had brought about in him was, he wanted more. He wanted her compassion, her light, her kindness. He wanted her love. They were almost like two opposite sides to the same coin. Like two halves that could make a whole. And somehow she found a way of taking away the eternal pain in his heart.

In this dark world, where everything seemed like shit, she was innocence and kindness. She was good, like he feared he'd never been. And just being near her made him want to be good as well. It was like hope in the middle of despair.

For a moment, Ailbe froze at the action. Her first proper kiss. The first time anyone had ever shown interest in her. For so long she thought she would always be alone, as no one could ever understand the pain she felt everyday. But he did. He understood everything. She kissed back, with all the love in her heart until slowly they both pulled apart.

"Ivar!" Hvitserk called him again, still out of sight.

Ivar looked down at Ailbe who stood with a stunned look and a bright smile, and he couldn't help but smile too. She cared about him.

"You should go to your brother," She whispered gently. "I'm sure there are wounds I need to tend to after the battle."

"Fine." He answered, regaining himself. "But you'll meet me on the hill when you're done." He commanded.

She chuckled softly, her sweet voice soon following it, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."