The End of Book 1

Ailbe didn't see the execution, but she didn't have to

Ailbe didn't see the execution, but she didn't have to. The sounds the dying King made were unlike any she'd ever heard before. She recalled all the tales she'd dismissed about the terrifying heathen whom she'd fallen in love with and was instantly thankful that she'd chosen to love him instead of hate him.

She could hear the bones crunch, the flesh sizzle, the blood spatter it's surroundings. She could smell death, and it was a scent she abhorred. And yet, it was a scent that made her smile in this instant. For she knew that she was safe. No one could hurt her now.

Ivar enjoyed every second of the man's agony, right up until his pitiful voice as he withered into death. He knew the purpose of the words that left the King in that moment - he wanted an end to his suffering - but part of Ivar wanted to kill him just for saying it.

"Princess Ailbe," He coughed blood, his voice barely above a whisper. "My love..."

When Ivar looked between them, he saw the disgusted look upon her face. He saw the way she squirmed and he saw the small tear that ran down her cheek. And, without hesitation, grabbed the old man to whisper in his ear. "I wouldn't have said that if I were you." He reprimanded before holding a flaming poker to the man's open wounds.

Another bloodcurdling scream.

He looked to Ailbe who winced, but seemed oddly contented with the entire scenario. And then, after hours of torture, he killed the Saxon.

When Ailbe heard the crowd yell and cheer, she knew it was over. He couldn't hurt her anymore. She began to walk over to Ivar, steadily, holding her injury as it ached with each step. Ivar held his crutch tightly, looking down at her when she came closer.

She lifted up his bloody axe, wiping some of the blood off with her thumb. Ivar watched in intrigue as she lifted her hand to her face and drew small lines with her torturers blood.

That would be her armour now. It was all she needed.

A small smile moved onto the Viking as he saw her act of ruthlessness, before he finally turned to address the crowd with her hand in his. She still held the axe in her other. "Let it be known!" He roared with all the thunder of the Gods, startling the crowd into silence. "That this will happen to anyone who touches my Queen."

Ailbe looked a little shocked from his words, her sightless eyes wide in disbelief. Her lips trembled as she attempted to hold down a large smile. "Your Queen?" She asked gently.

Ivar placed his hand on her cheek, making her smile grow, "Marry me." He said. "So we can live the rest of our lives together."

Ailbe couldn't contain her joy as she kissed him, her heart pounding. Oh what would her mother say? What would everyone say? They all thought she'd be alone forever, that she'd never find love. But she found it, of course she did. She found it in the most revered Viking King in all the world. And how? Well, that was simple.

They were both as broken as eachother. And she'd always found the beauty in things that everyone else feared.

I was gonna end this book a few chapters ago with Ailbe dying but I loved it so much that I wanted to make it into a series.

-Rhi