Chapter 7

"She thinks I'm nice?" Ivar gawked at his brother in pure confusion

Hvitserk had returned from spending the previous day with the blind girl, talking to her about many things, with the overwhelming urge to tease his little brother. Supposedly, he'd actually been nice to someone, and that someone happened to be the beautiful Celtic girl with a heart of gold. Was that supposed to be a coincidence?

"That's what she said, yes." Hvitserk confirmed, sipping his mead again. "Odd how the only person that Ivar The Boneless is nice to is a pretty girl."

"I'm not nice." He grumbled. "She's just... She clearly doesn't know me."

Hvitserk nodded, still grinning, "Of course, brother."

Before Ivar could even think of a snarly reply, the girl had appeared and he fell silent. Hvitserk was right. She truly was beautiful. But she wasn't just a pretty girl, and he certainly wasn't being nice to her. No. That would never happen. Instead it was more of a fascination that he had with her. A fascination that led to him looking at her a lot... And not so casually avoiding her as he never knew what to say. Which was a first.

"Hi Hvitserk, Ivar" She greeted cheerily, as though the sun hadn't risen until she had just appeared in that moment.

"Ailbe," Hvitserk greeted with a grin as he looked between her and his brother, casually excusing himself to leave them both alone.

Of course, being alone with Ivar didn't bother Ailbe one bit. She took her food and sat opposite him, her joyous demeanor never quite faltering. Ivar, on the other hand, sunk into his chair like a sulking child and avoided any of all eye contact with her. She thought he was nice? How? He was always rude to her, as he was with everyone!

"Are you alright today?" She questioned, gesturing in the general direction of his legs, but her vacant eyes just looking into a distant spot.

"I'm fine." He spoke flatly, trying to avoid eye contact with her even if it made no real difference. But when she gave a small chuckle, his eyes darted up to her. "What?"

"Sorry," She smiled, putting her hand over her lips to hide the wide grin that had spread across her features. "It's just something Hvitserk told me."

Of course it was. Of course it was something his brother had told her. Why wouldn't it be? "Well?" He urged her on, feeling anger growing in his chest.

She slowly turned her wide grin into a small smile, and reached across the table to take his hand in hers. Most people would run as soon as they heard hints of anger or frustration, but not her. "He said you were mean." She spoke gently. "But I think he's wrong."

"And what exactly have I done to prove that to you." He attempted to keep up his rage filled demeanor, but her soft touch and tender words were oddly compelling.

"Nothing." She smiled. "I can just tell." For a moment she was silent again, but Ivar didn't dare to speak. He wouldn't admit it of course, but her proximity to him and the care in her tone was something he'd come to enjoy. But when she spoke again, he could hardly believe what he was hearing. "I wish I was more like you, Ivar."

He scoffed before he could stop himself, a look of sheer confusion spreading over him. "Why?"

The girl smiled so bright that even her eyes lit up and she looked back at the ground with a crimson blush. "You're a lot stronger than I am." She chuckled sweetly.

The King's features warmed as he looked at her, this girl who'd seen good in him when even he couldn't see it in himself. "And you're a lot kinder than I am."

At this she smiled widely. "See," She spoke gently. "You are nice."

I'll update Wishful Thinking soon... But I kind of fell in love with this book from the first request soooooo yeah.

-Rhi