Chapter 19

It was almost noon and Ivar still could not bring himself to wake the sleeping girl beside him

It was almost noon and Ivar still could not bring himself to wake the sleeping girl beside him. He'd been awake since the sun first began to peak over the horizon but he'd barely moved an inch. He could've sat and watched her sleep all day long. She just seemed so peaceful.

After the events of the night before, he'd grown a little more emotional than he would've liked. Ailbe had walked back with him and agreed to stay the night as he didn't want to be alone. In truth, neither did she.

She stirred a little, startling him from his thoughts, and nestled in closer to him. The sunlight slipped through the walls of his tent, illuminating her features.

"Ivar?" She whispered with a raspy morning voice when she couldn't find him next to her.

He allowed himself to smile a little, running his hand along her cheek to let her know that he was still there. "I'm here." He answered quietly, still slightly entranced by looking at her.

A smile pulled up her features as she gently held onto the hand on her cheek. "What time is it?"

"Noon." He answered casually, as though not really caring that the two of them had spent all day in bed.

"Noon?" She repeated in a far more panicked tone, sitting up quickly. "Why didn't you wake me?"

"You seemed tired." Ivar shrugged.

"But what about the army?" She began quickly, seeming rather stressed suddenly. "I have injuries I need to tend to, and you're their leader-"

He silenced her by placing a kiss upon her lips, slowly leaning back against the bed and pulling her close to him again. "They can wait."

"Ivar-" She began in protest, but he quickly quieted her again.

"They can wait." He said more firmly, making her grow quiet for a moment.

All her life she'd been alone. She'd dreamt many times of loving and of being loved - of someone who would put the whole world on hold for her. She never thought it possible, as she was just that blind girl. She never thought anyone would understand her pain or her loneliness. But Ivar did.

He'd begun to lose hope that any good was left in him. Was he the monster that his mother prophesized he would be? He had no hope anymore. His life had become pure ambition. He was King and he didn't think he needed anything else. But when she gave him hope and saw things in him that no one else (including himself) could see, he knew that he needed her as well.