5. Bugged

The house beyond the hill's alarm clock didn't go off the next day. Shock had forgotten to mail in a new magazine order. She regretted not doing it when she woke up. The three had slept in for the first time in ages. Shock was the first to wake up. She yawned and sat up, blinking her eyes. It took her a while to notice. Her eyes grew wide.

The walls and floor were covered in bugs. And they were all moving into the other room.

Shock reached down from the couch and picked up the broken alarm clock from the ground. She brushed a cockroach onto the floor and threw it at Lock. He jolted awake.

"I DIDN'T DO IT!" he screamed.

Shock gave him a look.

"Oh, it's just you," he said. "Why'd you throw an alarm clock at me?"

Shock gestured around. Lock gaped at the scene. He kicked Barrel's hammock. "Barrel, wake up. Right. Now."

Barrel woke up and gasped. "Bugs-" he said. He looked at Shock. "We have a major infestation."

"Where are they going?" asked Lock.

Shock stood up and the bugs spread so she could walk. "They want us to follow them." she said to herself. "Come on." She began to follow the bugs. Lock and Barrel slowly followed. When they entered the next room, the insects were overlapping and crawling up on the ceiling as well. Their feet created a pattering noise like soft rainfall. Lock shivered. After a few more steps, Shock froze.

"Why did you stop moving?" asked Lock.

"Did you see something we should probably see too," asked Barrel.

The two walked out from behind her to see what she was looking at. The bugs were swarming into a cardboard hole the three had made when they were six. The crayon on it was faded and you could scarcely make out the individual colors anymore. The hole lead to a tunnel which lead to a basement like room. And the tube was doing something it hadn't done in ten years.

It was glowing.

^^^

Emily turned her spoon over in her cereal. She wasn't in the mood for any fun cereal so she had selected Raisin Bran. The most disgusting paste in the history of the world.

Sally noticed her daughters down mood the instant she saw her.

"Are you OK Emily?"

Emily nodded. "I'm full. I'm gonna go to Veronica's." She stood up and put her untouched cereal on the counter and walked out of the house.

Veronica was waiting outside. When Emily opened the door, she was taken aback.

"You're here," said Emily.

"Well," said Veronica. "I was gonna knock on your door but you're here so there's no need."

"What's up?"

"We're going back," said Veronica.

"What?!"

Veronica nodded.

"You're crazy," said Emily. "Insane."

"I know," said Veronica. "But we have to go back."

"Why?" said Emily. "They obviously hate us."

"So you didn't hear it?"

"Hear what?"

"Ha!" said Veronica. "I knew it!"

"What the heck are you talking about Veronica?" Emily asked, starting to get nervous.

"I was awake early this morning for an morning walk and then I heard this noise like rain, but it wasn't raining."