Ch. 42 - House Arrest

TWO WEEKS

TWO WEEKS.

Fourteen days.

336 hours.

20,160 minutes.

I have been stuck in this house. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere not even school. Instead all of my assignments are on my computer which I'm almost done with.

There was also a police officer parked outside by the sidewalk every night. I'm about to lose my mind.

The girls and Brent still come see me everyday, but it's not the same especially when they act like everything is okay.

I know everybody is trying to protect me, but they need protection too. If Malcom knows about the boys, he probably knows about the girls and Brent too.

"Hey, Campbell, do you want anything from the store?" Lisa asked me, knocking on my door.

I shook my head,"No, I'm fine."

She walked into my bedroom, and she sat on the edge of my bed. Her face held concern.

"Are you okay? You seem upset," Lisa asked, gently.

"How can I not be upset right now? There is a freaking psychopath after me putting everybody I love in danger," I replied, pushing a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"That was a dumb question. I'm sorry, sweetie," Lisa apologized.

"How long are we suppose to keep this up, Lisa? Malcom is in town for me. He's not just going to disappear," I asked, rubbing my temple.

"Campbell, we will keep this up for years if that's what it takes to keep you safe. The cops will catch him, and he'll be put in jail for the rest of his life," Lisa said.

"You guys shouldn't have to put your lives on hold because of my problems. That's not fair to you guys," I said, sitting beside her.

"Campbell, we will do whatever in order to have you. We wouldn't trade you for the world," Lisa said, putting an arm around my shoulders.

I nodded, and I cleared my throat. "Lisa, I have a question."

"Ask me anything," Lisa said, making butterflies appear in my stomach.

"Can I call you Mom?" I asked, quietly.

Lisa eyes lit up, and I could tell she was extremely happy. She nodded, eagerly.

"Yes," Lisa said, smiling brightly.

"Okay, Mom," I said, smiling myself.

She hugged me, and I hugged her back. When we broke apart, I asked her another question.

"Where's Ross at?" I asked her.

"Um, downstairs watching a movie," Lisa replied.

"Okay. I have to ask him something," I said, and she nodded.