Chapter 8 : Feeling closer

Zenitsus POV

I awkwardly sit at the table listening to Tanjiro who's explaining all of the things that have happened today to his mom. Like how he went and took a nap at the rooftop and then smelled blood and found me, and how he protected me from those guys and so on. But some parts of his version of todays events strike me as kind of odd...

For example, he went to take a nap at the schoolroof after school, why didn't he just go home? Was he waiting for someone? And it's the same place where I was supposed to confess to Nezuko--

Ah, right! I don't even know if she showed up at the rooftop after school! *sigh* What luck... Well I can ask her about that soon. But also, how come he smelled blood from that far away? It feels like it would be impossible for a human to do that... But the part that struck me as the most odd, is that apparently after passing out, I somehow woke up and kicked one of the bullies across the hallway. I mean, there is no way that happened! I'm not that strong, well, I'm not weak either... Also I dont remember it at all which makes me wonder if it really happened. Maybe he just added it to the story to make me look cool, which if he did, I do kind of appreciate it I guess...

"So that's everything that happened." Tanjiro says, he sounds pretty exhausted, It was a long story after all. His mom nods in understading, and then clearly worried asks, "Can you walk?... If you can't I can take you and Nezuko to school tomorrow."

I can see him reassuringly smile at her "I'm fine don't worry about me." the way he said that doesn't match his expression... He sounded pained, I also know for a fact that he can't walk but he wants to keep his mom from worrying about him...

My chest tightens, I feel bad for him... it's my fault that he got hurt in the first place...

" I-I'm sorry.." I mutter quietly. I then flinch and turn my head as I can feel someone touching my left shoulder.

"It's fine Zenitsu, you didn't do anything wrong." He says while smiling kindly at me. H-his voice... it's so sweet, It always catches me off guard.

I then flinch again as I can feel someone gently pat my head, this time it's not Tanjiro, I turn my head to look at his mom who sits across me from the table.

"Thank you for bringing my son safely home, Zenitsu-kun." She says to me sweetly while smiling at me. I can feel my face heat up, T-they're both so sweet!! I'm gonna cry!

Kie (Mom) :"Oh dear, it's already so late, won't your parents be worried about you coming home this late?"

I freeze, Ah, parents...

I awkwardly scratch the back of my head, "Ah, well, actually I live alone..." I pause for a moment, "I don't have parents." I say plainly.

Jii-chan took care of me before I moved here, He lives on the country side and I didn't want to go to school there so I secretly aplied here, and miraculously managed to get in, so Jii-chan allowed me to move here, but I have to pay the rent of my appartment myself and everything else... That's why I work part-time on the weekends.

Tanjiro and his mom look at each other shocked, well I kind of expected it. Then I can feel Tanjiro taking my hand and gently holding it, he then says something that I will never forget, "If you're ever lonely, you can come here and hang out with us." he says sweetly while smiling at me, my heart stops for a split second.

There it is again, I can feel something warm fall across my face.

"Zenitsu! Are you okay?" He asks concerned.

"H-huh I-I'm fine--" After I finish what I was saying Tanjiro gently presses his hand against my face.

"You're crying..." He looks at me worried, he sounded kind of sad, but wait, Am I?