Chapter 12: Growing feelings

Zenitsus POV

I twirl the ramen noodles that I'm having for lunch today around my chopsticks, *sigh* I relax my hand letting the noodles fall out of my chopsticks.

"Did he really have to go practise on his lunch break too?" I mumble to myself slightly annoyed. I've been eating lunch together with Tanjiro ever since we became friends, so eating lunch by myself again makes me feel...

Lonely

like, really really lonely, it didn't bother me before, I grab some noodles between my chopsticks and gently blow on them to make them cool down. I then bring them closer to my mouth but then I pause, I start thinking. How come not being around Tanjiro makes me feel this way? Why is it such a big deal to me that he didn't eat lunch with me today?

I wonder...

"Ah!" The noodles start to slip down the chopsticks but before they fall I quickly slurp them down. Aaah! I can't stand it! I start to furiously eat the rest of my noodles, it doesn't matter that Tanjiro isn't here with me! I'd rather eat lunch with Nezuko anyway! I then finish my noodles and look proudly at my now empty bowl, Yeah! that's the spirit Zenitsu! I cheer to myself.

After school

Band practise was the same as always, as soon as my practise ended I ran-- wait no that makes me look desperate, I quickly walked, yeah that, quickly walked towards the gym where Tanjiro and... *shiver* Inosuke are practising.

I see that the gym doors are slightly parted open. Perfect! I sneak over to peek into the gym, I can hear a lot of noises so seems like they're still practising. I look inside, yep, I was right, my eyes then swiftly search the inside of the gym for Tanjiro. My eyes then land on him after a little while, there he is! I stare at him, he seems to be sparring with someone, I look over to who he's sparring with. hmm, looks like one of the older students. I then step away from the doors, well, seems like he's going to be there for a while... I sigh.

Should I just head over to his house without him? or... would that be too weird... I really want to hang out with Nezuko today but then I'll have to wait for--

"Hey Zenitsu! Why are you standing there? The doors are open so you could have just entered the gym if you wanted--" Tanjiro says calmly as he opens the gym door a bit wider.

"GYAAAAHH!!" I scream startled, "WH- WHA- HOW--?!" Tanjiro gently puts his hand over my mouth, "There's no need to yell... I'm literally a meter away from you." This guy! He takes his hand away from my mouth, Why is he talking so calmly?! "You scared the living out of me! Ofcourse I'd yell!" I scold him, he just chuckles, "Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you, I thought that you would hear me, but I guess you were so lost in thought that you didn't notice." He smiles.

I then take a big exhale, he's right, I was so lost in thought that I didn't even hear him approaching me. " Umm... " He looks down for a moment," I guess you're here to wait for me huh? " He mentions." Oh! " I exclaim," Y-yeah... I, I want to hang out with Nezuko today." I tell him, and I then get a glimpse of his face, W-what? why is he narrowing his eyebrows like that? did I say something that upset him?" Ah, obviously I want to hang out with you too. " I stammer, His face then changes into a peacefull, yet... slightly sad or dissapointed smile. "You can just go to my House without me, You already know where I live and practise might still take a while." He offers.

"Oh... okay, I'll see you later then." I say slightly surprised, I didn't expect him to say something like that.

"Yeah, see you." He then turns around and leaves.

I stare as his back slowly becomes smaller as the distance between us grows.

T-that's it I guess, I'd better take my leave then, I thought to myself. I then quietly leave.