Chapter 11: A new student?

Tanjiros POV

I walk inside to the gym, as the two people that are in there take their masks off. "What are you doing here this late?" the student turns his head towards me and asks, he sounds sort of confused. "Oh!, I was just wondering what you were doing." I answer, the excitement still present in my voice. The two students then take a look at each other, and the other one just shrugs his shoulders. "Oh we were just practicing Kendō for the up coming tournament." The other one who shrugged his shoulders earlier then also chimes in, "You're a first year right? You should come and watch!" He grins at me. "Sure!" I answer back beaming with excitement.

Kendō? I've heard of it before, but since my last school was so small, we only had a few clubs, which were pretty basic clubs, like chess, or track and field. Maybe this could be the club for me? I mean... I think back on the time when I tried to save Zenitsu from his bullies. I could grow a lot stronger, maybe I could be able to properly protect him in the future?

I've made my decision.

While I was thinking, the two students Decided to continue practicing their swings, while letting out a yell to go with each strike. "Excuse me again." I politely tap on one of the boys shoulder. "Hm? what is it?" he asks me. "Could I try that too?" I ask him with a big smile on my face. The boy then looks surprised and glances at the other boy who gives him an approving nod. "Here you go kid." He hands me his bamboo sword, which is heavier than I thought. "Ohh, you're holding it pretty well!" The boy cheers for me and claps his hands. I then gently swing the sword back and forth, "This is surprisingly tiring" I say and the two boys then let out a chuckle. "Well yeah, that's why we have a club that we practice at." I then hum and give back the sword. "Can I come and watch you practice another time?"

The boys then start laughing at me, which kind of surprised me. "Why would you just watch? If you're that interested, why don't you try joining our club?". I then take a step back, should I? It sounds really interesting, and...

I could grow strong enough to protect the people I care about.

Actually, scratch that.

I Will become strong enough to protect them.

"Well then." I start speaking, "I'd like to join your club." I tell them. The other boy then happily runs of to grab me the required papers to officially join the club. "Man, I was getting worried, that we were only going to get two new club members this year." he gives me an encouraging pat in the back.

Two? So there's another first year who joined this club before me? I wonder who that might be. Before that thought wanders too far, the boy who went to get me the papers comes back and gives them to me. "You can give these to your teacher tomorrow, we have practice six times a week, three times in the mornings and three times in the evenings you can read our schedule from the papers I gave you." He then pauses for a few seconds before starting to talk again. "you can ask the teacher if you could borrow the gym if you want to practice more after school like we did today." I then happily nod and run of to the gym doors while waving at the boys, "Thank you! I'll see you soon!" I yell to them before I start to power walk through the school.

While walking home I already start to think about tomorrow, will I see Zenitsu tomorrow? What will he think about me joining a club? Who's the other new student who joined the club besides me, since were both beginners I could try to become friends with them.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

I... Really wasn't expecting my morning to go like this... I thought to myself. "FIGHT ME! LETS SEE WHICH ONE OF US IS STRONGER! OI! YOU HEAR ME MONJIRO?!" He yells at me again. I should probably explain what's going on, so here I go....