𝐯. 𝐟𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐲

CHAPTER FIVE.

FANTASY

FANTASY.

GOING INTO TRAINING THE FOLLOWING DAY, Emori ignores the stares of the other tributes. Several of them have received glares from her District partner or Reed who has decided that he will once again stick by her side during the day. Whilst she appreciates his company, he hangs around like a pesky fly at times.

"I don't need a babysitter, Reed. You can go and socialise with other people," Emori says to her friend as she fiddles with the fish hook. The boy smiles at her almost gently.

"I don't want to socialise with any of them," Reed shrugs in response, trying to tie a knot before him. The girl looks over and rolls her eyes, grabbing it and twisting it into a knot. "Where did you learn that?"

"Finn taught me. He took me fishing once as well, I hated it. It's not fun," Emori says with a small grin.

"Yeah I'm good with not doing that. Look, maybe we should start thinking about making allies," Reed finally decides, his eyes settling on the blonde who is frowning.

"Why? You just said you didn't want to talk to anyone else. Besides, the only other person here that I really trust is Finn and maybe Brutus but that's it. They'd turn on us in a heartbeat," Emori responds.

She's aware that her and Reed are rather new to the whole victor circle, she won the seventy second Hunger Games whilst he won the seventh third. They haven't known these people for as long and therefore she is hesitant to trust them all. Finnick has always been the one who she trusted before Reed came and Brutus was her mentor so therefore she has a little trust in him — he is a career however and would turn on her probably without second thought. It's just the way it is and therefore, she believes that it's probably best to only have Reed by her side. He is her closest friend.

"I'll go speak with Finnick then. Try and make some friends," Reed says and she rolls her eyes, eventually nodding when they boy walks off.

"Make friends. Yeah right," she mumbles to herself.

The girl finishes up her knot before leaving the station completely. Her eyes fly over the other activities she could do — she spots Reed over with Finnick at the station with the tridents, both laughing about something that probably isn't even that funny. She sees Katniss on her lonesome with the knives and she scoffs, rolling her eyes. That's somewhere she will not be going.

"Lost?" A voice says to her and she snaps her head to the side, the blonde boy looking at her with his deep blue eyes. She has to stop herself from glaring at the District Twelve Victor who is giving her a friendly smile.

"I'm not really in the mood for friendly conversation, Mellark," she responds and he lets out a small laugh.

"Are you ever?" Peeta replies and she raises her eyebrows at him. For the first time in his presence, she allows her lips to quirk up into a small smile. She had to admire the wit, she didn't think he'd have any. The boy feels almost a little proud that he was able to evoke something other than threats and blank stares.