𝐱𝐢. 𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨𝐜𝐤

CHAPTER ELEVEN.

TICK TOCK.

EMORI STANDS BESIDE FINNICK as the woman from District Seven whinges about her allies whom she believes are useless. Moments earlier, Johanna, Wiress and Beetee turned up on the beach and it was decided that they'd all ally together — which she hates more than anything. The last thing she needs is more people to watch, they're likely to stab her in the back the moment she looks away.

"Well I got them out. We were all the way deep into the jungle where I thought I was gonna be safe, that's when the rain started. I thought it was water, it turned out to be blood," Johanna speaks to the group as Emori moves her gaze towards Wiress who seems to be mumbling something under her breath.

"Tick tock," Wiress speaks over and over and Emori watches as Katniss moves over to the woman from three in order to try and calm her down whilst she helps her wash. "Tick tock,"

"I'm going to go and get some water," Emori speaks to Reed who nods his head and passes her over the small spile that they've been using quite frequently. "You want to come with?"

"It's probably best if you don't go alone. Come on," Reed responds and the two of them head for the nearest tree where they aren't too far from their allies so they can still hear their conversations. They wouldn't want to miss anything just in case it involves them.

"What does Beetee have there?" Katniss asks Johanna who looks to the man and the contraption he seems to be holding in his hand.

"A coil? Some kind of wire. Took a knife in the back to get it," The District seven victor responds in what seems like a hiss.

"Tick tock!" Wiress keeps repeating over and over as Emori leans down so the water slips from the spile and into her mouth. She changes with Reed who takes a drink himself before gently removing the object from the tree so it won't get damaged.

Emori jumps as lighting strikes a tree in the distance, the flash coming unexpectedly. Wiress points in its direction, repeating the same phrase over and over as if trying to convince Katniss of something. The blonde watches as something that she believes to be shock or surprise crosses of the victor's face and then she smiles at Wiress, gently grasping her.

"It's a clock! Wiress you're a genius!" Katniss exclaims and Emori and Reed look at each other, surprise filling them as well. The group move over to the cornucopia to try and figure out the clock system.

"This entire arena seems to be laid off like a clock with a new threat every hour, but they stay only within their wedge. It all starts with the lightning, then blood rain, fog, monkeys. That's the first four hours. At ten that big wave hits from over there," Katniss explains to the large group and Emori nods her head, still impressed by the fact Wiress had managed to figure it out.

"But the tail points at twelve," Peeta points out and Katniss nods.

"That's where the lightning strikes at noon and midnight,"

"Strikes where?" Beetee interjects and the girl points at the large tree in the distance in response. Beetee seems happy with her answer and Emori notices him fiddling with the coil of wire in his hands.

"Hickory Dickory Dock. The mouse ran up the clock. The clock stroke one, the mouse ran down. Hickory Dickory Dock. Hickory Dickory Dock," Wiress sings to herself as she looks out at the water, seemingly finding it calming.

Peeta draws the clock on the dirt ground, pointing out what occurs at each of the sectors so they can do their best to avoid it. Emori allows her gaze to move back over to Wiress who is still singing, continuing on with the same song that she'd never heard before. She assumes that it must be some sort of child's song, they didn't hear many of them in two — it was more stories of Hunger Games triumph.

"As long as we stay clear of whichever sector is active, we'll be safe," Peeta concludes and Finnick agrees with him which causes Emori to look back over at them.

Suddenly, Wiress makes what can be heard as a painful gasp and Emori watches as she falls limp in Gloss' arms. It happens so fast, Katniss shoots an arrow straight into the man's chest and he flops back into the water. Emori grabs her knives as Cashmere is knocked down with the Johanna's axe and two canons fire one after the other. She watches as her District partner smartly flees and she can't help but be slightly relieved at that. He's the only person from home who is here.

Emori screeches as she loses her footing, the area starting to spin around rapidly. Her arm bangs against the hard ground and she hisses in pain as it digs into the fabric of her suit, slicing her skin and allowing blood to seep out.

To her right, Katniss and Johanna are just hanging on, the older victor trying to keep her up the water causes their hands to become slippery and as Johanna's grip loosens, Katniss falls. Emori makes a last minute decision to stick her leg out and Katniss manages to grip it tightly, keeping her up on the surface. As the spinning stops, Reed and Peeta both rush over to the teenage girls.

"Shit Mori. Are you ok?" Reed asks the blonde who nods her head as he helps her up.

"Emori," The blonde looks over to Katniss who looks shocked. "Thank you,"

"I didn't do it for you. I wasn't going to let you have such a merciful death," Emori hisses and pulls away from Reed, stomping over to Finnick as the three of them watch her go.

However, the more and more time she spends in this arena, the more Haymitch's words fly through her head. Is Katniss Everdeen the key to stopping this all together? Hopefully, she'll have a few days to figure that out and make a decision.