𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬

CHAPTER EIGHT!

UNLIKELY ALLIES

UNLIKELY ALLIES.

HER HANDS SHAKE ANXIOUSLY as she awaits the finish of the countdown, her eyes flying around at the others around her. Who, other than Reed, can she really trust here? Whilst she is friends with Finnick and she somewhat tolerates Peeta, she has no idea whether or not she can actually trust they will not kill her the moment she turns her back. Once again, her gaze returns to the timer as it counts down. 

5.

She clenches her fists as the second ticks away.

4.

She takes a deep breath.

3.

She gazes at Reed one last time.

2.

She prepares herself for the coolness of the water.

1. 

She leans forward slightly.

0.

Her body dives off the platform before she can even comprehend what she's doing. The splash is loud and she manages to paddle through the water, no grace in the way she's swimming in the slightest but that doesn't bother her. The last thing she's concerned about is being judged for the way she swims. Instead, she moves as fast as she can, wanting to reach the cornucopia before some of the others do.

As she reaches the land, her arms struggle to pull her weight up, the rocky material imbedding itself in her prone skin and causing discomfort — discomfort is not something she can afford. Emori manages to pull herself up, the water drenching bother her outfit and hair, droplets sliding down her face as if they're tears. It's almost symbolic, as if they represent the days she's spent at home crying over her brother — the days that will become more tolerable when Katniss Everdeen meets her end.

Emori rushes to the cornucopia and picks up several knives and a contraption that looks like a belt, something she will be able to hold them in. As she turns around, she catches a glimpse of blonde hair, her knife ready to be thrown. Cashmere stands before her with her hands up in almost surrender, giving the younger girl a small nod. She can only imagine that Brutus has asked his District One allies to keep the girl alive. Emori manages a small nod back before she hurls the knife slightly to the girl's left, the weapon embedding itself into the chest of the District Five male who tumbles to the ground. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, a shaky breath before continuing on her way.

That man had a family. He may have had a wife and children, the ones who thought their father and husband would be around until he died of old age — like he should have rather than being thrown back into the arena. She cannot dwell on it any longer, being distracted will get her killed.