𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬

CHAPTER FOURTEEN!

TO THE STARS.

STANDING BESIDE A SEEMINGLY ANXIOUS Peeta Mellark is probably the last thing she thought she'd be doing in this arena. She watches as he plays with his hands, trying to calm himself down as they look to set the plan into motion. Katniss seems to be keeping a close eye on him as the rest of the group talk amongst themselves.

"Typically a lightning strike contains five billion joules of energy. We don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when this hits. You two girls, go together now," Beetee speaks to Katniss and Johanna as he finishes wrapping the wire around the tree, preparing for whatever he looks to accomplish.

The coil of wire is placed in Johanna's hands as Katniss and Peeta exchange nervous glances — something which Emori picks up on almost instantly. A small smirk pulls at her lips as she watches them, knowing that they had planned to run off together during this. She's sure most of the others know it is the case and to be honest, her and Reed would probably end up doing the exact same thing.

"Take this. Unspool it carefully. Make sure the entire coil is in the water, you understand? Then head to the tree at the two o'clock sector. We'll meet you there," Beetee explains further and Johanna nods her head whilst Katniss looks at Peeta almost pleadingly.

"I'll go with them as guard —" Peeta begins only to be cut off by the smaller blonde who shakes her head.

"No need to worry about that, lover boy. I've got this," Emori states as she holds up her knives. "Can't promise I won't kill her along the way but-" the last part is said with a smirk that makes Katniss glare.

These games are bigger than your revenge fantasy. She cannot help but hear Haymitch in her head again, his words coaxing an unknown feeling from within her.

"But-" Peeta is once again cut off but this time it's by Beetee who looks as if he's greatly detesting Peeta's idea.

"No! You're staying here to protect me and the tree," He says to the younger boy who looks extremely torn.

"I need to go with her. Finnick and Reed can protect you just fine," The blonde protests.

"Yeah, why can't Finnick, Johanna and Reed stay with you and Peeta and I take the coil? We will even take Emori with us," Katniss interjects and Emori scoffs.

"So you can shoot an arrow in my back? Peeta won't stop you," Emori speaks.

"You all agreed to keep me alive till midnight, correct?" Beetee comments and Johanna agrees with him.