Chapter 2

And so the war began

Althena was no shieldmaiden. She'd never even lifted a sword. She couldn't ride into battle like a valkyrie. She couldn't kill men twice her size.

And yet, she was a warrior nonetheless. A warrior in almost every sense of the word. But it was not her limbs that fought, it was her mind.

"Princess!" One of the guards yelled as she walked out from the castle walls and towards the shores, masses of soldiers trailing behind her loyally. She wore no armour, no crown, no weapon. She simply walked ahead, an icy gaze on the ships in the distance. "Princess get back!"

Althena stopped and then so did the army behind her, everyone waiting on an action from her - their leader. She turned slowly to the men on the wall who appeared so concerned for her safety and considered how concerned they'd be when they tossed her at those pagans like a slab of meat.

"And why would I do that?" She questioned calmly, addressing the guard. Everyone stared at the interaction, awaiting some form of order. "Well?"

"It is not safe out here, your Highness." He tried, genuine compassion laced in his voice.

Althena gave a laugh, her gaze turning back towards the man as she spoke kindly. "My good sir, do you consider what you say?" She joked with false cheer. "It is not safe because of the men who are approaching us - and yet do you believe I will be any safer when I am left alone with them?"

The guard silenced, looking down at his crossbow nervously.

"My brother says that I am being sent with them for you." She gestured at each individual present. "For your wives and your children." She spoke. "And though it is my pleasure to serve you all, and protect you, I cannot help but wonder how circumstances would differ had I been born a man."

"You would be King!" A distant voice called out from the crowd, making a smile creep up to Althena's lips.

"Indeed." She answered. "And as King I would ask you all for that same sacrifice - to give your lives to protect your people. I would fight and die beside you." They all fell silent, and a sad smile spread over her. A knowing smile as she contemplated her situation. She wished with all her heart that she could lift a sword and fight to the death to stop these pagans. But there was little she could do. She knew that deep down. "But I am not your King." She persisted. "I am a princess of this kingdom, and soon I will be a heathen princess too. And I will be a sinner and failure in the eyes of our lord."

A man at the front of the large crowd, tapped his arm against his heart in respect, his head bowing as he knelt upon the ground before her. "You, my lady, are the most godly of us all." He spoke clearly. Murmurs of agreement filled the crowd as, one by one, each soldier bent down onto his knee in a show of respect for the tender princess.

Edith watched as a sea of warriors bowed down to the younger girl, a sad smile on her lips. It was true, Althena was not their King. And yet, she inspired them like Alwin never could. For, she may not have had the body of  a King, but she most certainly had the soul of one. And the most true and honest king there ever was, at that.

"Bless you your grace!" The crowd cheered, even the wind howling along with them.

Althena turned, looking out to the sea where the Vikings disembarked. This was it, her holy war. Though she could not fight or raise arms against then, she could fight them from within their very walls.

She would be God's soldier, in her own way. And let no man doubt the strength of an honest woman.