chapter 16

As Althena made her way towards Alwin's lodgings, her heart thudded in her chest like thunder

As Althena made her way towards Alwin's lodgings, her heart thudded in her chest like thunder. Rain pelted down, as though it was setting the scene and foreshadowing some distant events that were yet to come. And every step of the way, a whisper in Althena's head told her that she should turn back. That she should go back to where she felt safe and happy, not among her Christian brothers and sisters, but among the Heathens that she'd been taught to hate for so many years. The Heathens that she didn't hate, and their Gods that she didn't hate.

No, not hating it wasn't the right phrase to use anymore. It wasn't simply an absence of hate. It was a gaining of something more. It was love.

"Who goes here?" A voice made Althena look up, pulling down the black cloak that covered her face.

"Princess Althena." She answered, head held high as she pushed back her nerves. "I'm here to see my brother, the King."

With reverence, the guards stepped aside and bowed their heads. Althena walked on, on inside the small cottage with arms folded to hide her shaking hands.

"Alwin." Her voice was numb as she spoke, her gaze empty and cold. Any semblance of love that she'd ever felt for him was gone, any feeling of sorrow for what had become of their relationship. "We need to talk."

"Althena," He grinned, looking at her closely, eyes permeating her soul. "Bold of you to come here after how you talked to me. Scared of your little pagan friends yet? Have you come to repent?"

"I know what you've done to that girl, Alwin." She spoke coldly, not answering his ridiculous questions as she glared at him with ice in her eyes. Her gaze was accusatory, watching as his face contorted.

"I beg your pardon?" He gawked at her, fear rising in his chest as he realised the consequences of this situation. Anglo-Saxons, much like Vikings, did not look kindly on men who forced themselves upon women. They were seen as weak, as less of a man. And his reputation would be ruined. The people already hated him. How long until they replaced him with Althena, the favourite of the two? And that heathen would become King.

"You should beg." She answered, stepping closer. "You should beg forgiveness from God and from that girl." Another step, as Alwin took one backwards. "And you will never step foot near her or Edith again."

"Edith is my wife." He answered. "She is Queen."

"And she will remain Queen." Althena returned, glowering at him. "You will leave, run away and live in peace. We will not come after you, and the people will believe that you died honourably in battle. The only honourable thing you've ever done as King. Perhaps we shall tell them that you turned on our Viking friends, and then you may even be Sainted. But you will never return."

Alwin scoffed looking at her with tears in his eyes as he thought about what she could do to him. She had the power to destroy him. And he could never let anyone have that power. "What if I don't? Hm? What then?"

"Then," She took another step towards him. "I will cut off your balls and feed then to the horses you disgusting pig! You have ruined our kingdom, you have disgraced our family, you have abused and forced yourself on a little girl! For once in your life, do something right."

For a moment, he looked at her as though he was contemplating her offer. For a moment, Althena had hope that perhaps he wasn't the monster that she now believed him to be. But that hope was torn away in one agonizing instant as she felt a sharp pain shoot through her stomach.

As she looked down, Alwin's hand wrapped around a small dagger that had pierced below her breast. As he pulled it out, blood gushed from the wound and her hands tried desperately to clutch it and cover it. She looked up at her little brother, feeling betrayal in her heart oncemore.

"I can't let you do this sister," He wept. "No one can ever know."

As Althena toppled to the floor, the world began to turn black. Her heartbeat was the loudest sound in the room as it pumped blood straight towards an open wound.

"HELP!" She heard Alwin yell, pretending that he was worried about her. "SOMEONE HELP!"

But he knew as well as she did, it would take a miracle to survive this.