chapter 14

"Edith would you just rest?" Althena's voice was demanding as she put one hand on the shoulder of her stubborn friend, her heart smothered in concern

"Edith would you just rest?" Althena's voice was demanding as she put one hand on the shoulder of her stubborn friend, her heart smothered in concern. "For once in you life, just take a moment."

"I'm fine." Edith protested, pushing away her dear friend. "Just a little lightheaded. Stop fussing."

The blonde sighed, waiting as the girl who was almost a sister to her regained herself. Recently, Edith had been sick regularly and she seemed out of sorts. Althena was certain that it was from Alwin's neglect, the strains of being an unloved queen clearly getting to her. God she wished she could take some of the burden off her, she wished that the older girl had never experienced a life such of hers.

It was true, to many it seemed like she had everything. But perhaps that comes with a far greater cost. Edith was only a young girl herself when Althena's father took a liking to her, only a few years older than his own daughter. Being from a prominent family, she was forced into selling herself. Forced into lying with a man twice her age. But it didn't end there, of course. Alwin had already planned to marry her, and once more she had no choice in the match. The one that she truly loved was sent away, never to be heard from again. While she was trapped here, a slave to the foul King's whims.

"Princess?" A shy voice called out from behind the pair, a voice that stirred anger within Edith's chest.

Althena turned, scanning the girl up and down with judgement."Leofgifu." She answered coldly.

"I was wondering if I-" The much younger girl began, her nerves evident in her quiet voice and shaking hand. "If I could talk to you."

Edith scoffed, eyes travelling between the two as Althena considered the offer. As much as she disliked the child, her fear seemed genuine and Althena couldn't help but feel compassion in return.

"In private." The child's gaze moved towards Edith, sending her away.

As Edith turned towards her friend for support, Althena gently held her hand. "I'll catch up in a moment." She explained, looking back towards Leofgifu. Oncemore, Edith was left dumbfounded, her mind hardly believing what she saw. Nevertheless, she trusted the princess, nodded gently and continuing on their walk alone. "This better be good. What do you want?"

Leofgifu looked to the ground, her golden hair cascading past her pink cheeks, eyes watery as she fiddled with her sleeves nervously. Suddenly, without warning, all the tears that were kept hidden behind her eyes came welling out in a huge ocean that engulfed her pretty features. The girl shook violently, words incoherent, before finally she formed a sentence. "I'm scared."

No matter how much Althena disliked her, seeing the girl like this was enough to break her heart. She was a child. A child that had been torn away from her family and tossed into the middle of a war. And Althena knew all too well how that felt.

"Scared of what?" The older girl questioned, stepping closer with furrowed brows and a gentle voice. "Of who?"

"Of-" She paused to breathe, sucking in tears. "Of- of Alwin."

And there it was. A singular declaration of everything that Althena feared. She wasn't some vindictive little girl out for power, out to get Edith. No, something far more sinister was afoot. Something akin to Edith's own past. Something that Althena never wanted to think of, but was faced with oncemore. This time, however, she was not a loyal subject of the King. And she could do whatever she must.

"Has he hurt you?" She asked gently, looking down towards the girl with the kindest gaze.

Leofgifu nodded, rolling up her sleeve to show the large bruises around her wrists and up her arms.

She was just a child. Far closer to Ivar's age than to her own. And Althena felt, above everything, an overwhelming urge to protect her, as she wished someone had protected herself and Edith when they were girls. But where could she go? This small Christian girl in a camp of terrifying men? There was only one place that Althena had always found herself safe in, one place that she knew would be safe for this girl.

And that was with the Ragnarssons.