chapter 21

As Althena began to stumble again, Ubbe helped her back to the old wooden bed as the door closed behind them

As Althena began to stumble again, Ubbe helped her back to the old wooden bed as the door closed behind them. Ivar and Hvitserk still sat looking between the Christian girl - who seemed entirely unfased by murdering her brother in front of them - and her dead brother who still lay on the floor.

"You can trust Edith." She began, her voice weak and her body tired. "Far more than Alwin. She won't betray you."

The brothers nodded, not really knowing what to say as she lay back to rest. As Ubbe looked at her, seeing how exhausted she seemed, he placed a hand on hers calmly. "You should rest. We'll be back later."

But, before he could stand and leave, Althena grabbed his hand to stop him from going anywhere. She had to tell him. A fear welled in her that if she didn't tell him now, she may never get the chance again. Paranoia from her encounter with Alwin seeped into her veins. She needed to tell him, and she needed to now.

"Can I speak to you?" She gazed up at him, their eyes meeting for a moment as they exchanged silent words. "Alone." Her attention turned towards Ivar and Hvitserk who were still stood there awkwardly.

Both of them quickly caught on to what was going on, glad that the two of them were finally saying what everyone else already knew. As they left, Ivar took a moment to spit on Alwin's body. Hvitserk walked past and kicked him, and the two left while looking back at the couple. Both of them were glad that her idiot brother was gone, and that Ubbe would no doubt be running over to them in a few minutes to tell them that they were in love. As if they hadn't already gathered that.

As the door closed behind them, Althena looked back at Ubbe. Her heart pounded in her chest so loudly that she could hear it as she quickly realised that they were now alone; that she was now going to have to say everything that she wanted to say. She simply didn't know how.

"I-" She began, looking down as she tried to muster the words that she needed. "I-" Finally, she stopped, not sure what to do or say. There were so many thoughts that came to her mind at once, that she simply froze.

Finally, Ubbe sent her a small smile and held onto her hand. "I thought that I would never see you again." He began, finding the words for her. "And I stayed here all night to make sure that you were still breathing."

She nodded, giving a small smile in return. "I didn't want to leave you." She whispered, her voice shaking as she spoke. "I kept thinking that there was so much that I needed to tell you." She paused again, taking another deep breath. "That I-"

"I love you." Ubbe spoke past her words, breaking the thick tension that had built within the room.

Althena couldn't help but giggle, her smile brighter than any jewel, "That's what I was going to say."

Again, he smiled, leaning in closer. "I know." He answered, kissing her gently and yet passionately. All those months of unspoken words seemed to seep out into that one kiss - Althena's first kiss, and it was certainly one to remember. She grabbed a fistful of his shirt, deepening his kiss. As they pulled apart, she found herself yearning for more. Her heart welled with a thousand emotions, a bright smile filling her features as she looked back at him.

"My father would have been apoplectic if he had seen this." She smiled, lying back in tiredness and wincing as she moved.

"You would have been too a few months ago." He answered, sitting back and watching as she continued to smile, unable to break the pure joy on her face in that moment.

Althena nodded, closing her eyes as she continued to smile. "I guess, maybe, I was wrong." She sighed gently, still unable to believe everything that had just happened. "You're not such a bad husband after all."