chapter 13

"Hail Mary, Full of Grace, The Lord is with thee

"Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.

Amen." Althena repeated the prayer, fingers laced between eachother as she looked up to the stars. Her bright blue eyes glanced up, searching the night for some form of response, some sign. She doubted that her faith would ever die out, even surrounded by these heathens. She was stubborn and believed wholeheartedly and was more than willing to die for said beliefs. But every day it felt as though she became more and more distant from God. She couldn't feel his presence here in this godless country anymore. She couldn't remember what it was like to know that he was watching over her. Some part of her wondered whether he'd forsaken her, left her behind for marrying a heathen and disobeying her brother. But she knew, deep in her heart, that she was the first child and therefore was chosen by God to rule. She would've been queen had she not been forced to pass her birthright onto Alwin. God moved through her, and her gut feelings were his will. So, she remained determined and strong in her resolve, peaceful in the knowledge that she must surely be right. So long as she followed God's will, so long as she didn't get lost in her affections.

"Who's Mary?" Ubbe questioned from behind her, startling the young princess.

As she looked over, she smiled gently, her features softening. "The virgin Mary," She explained. "Mother of God." As soon as she saw his expression, she gave a small chuckle. "Ivar said the same thing, don't worry." She informed him, patting the ground beside her as she waited for him to sit with her.

"How did she give birth to a God? Was she a God?" He continued asking, a glimmer of curiosity within his bright blue eyes.

Again, Althena smiled, "No, she was a normal woman." She answered, her fingers playing with small blades of grass. "But she was holy. And, when the Lord decided to come down to earth to save us from our sins, he chose her to bare his son - Jesus."

"Our Gods come down to earth too." He nodded understandingly. "That's how we found out about my father's death."

Althena nodded as well, knowing all too well how the loss of a father could feel. "When my father died," She spoke quietly, lovingly recalling the man that had raised her. "I knew that I'd see him again in heaven. One day, you'll see your father again too, wherever you Vikings go."

Ubbe smiled, recalling the many occasions that she'd previously spat that they were demons that belonged in hell. "I thought we were going to Hell." He answered, a small smirk as he watched her giggle softly in the moonlight, her eyes lighting up and her cheeks flushing red.

"Maybe not all of you." She answered, looking up at him for the first time since he'd sat beside her, her gaze now unable to break away from him. "Not you."

As silence fell upon them, Althena looked briefly between his eyes and his lips, a million thoughts racing through her mind. Of course, the small flutter of her gaze caught Ubbe's attention, waiting patiently as she made up her mind. If she was any other woman, he probably would have kissed her then and there, he probably would have done far more than just that. But she wasn't any other woman. She was a rare woman, one that had him completely under her spell. She was beautiful, kind, intelligent, strong, fierce, and determined. She was gentle but harsh, spiritual and grounded. And if he might bed too quick, he feared he might scare her away like a flighty bird of the night.

Althena gave a heavy sigh, looking back towards the ground to avoid his gaze. "You've been so good to me, Ubbe." She told him, hand resting on his. "If I have to have a husband, I'm glad that it's you." And with that declaration, she stood and walked away - back towards the large crowds of people and towards her Saxon friend, Edith.