Chapter 15

"W-where are you taking me?" Leofgifu shook nervously as they neared the old church doors

"W-where are you taking me?" Leofgifu shook nervously as they neared the old church doors. As Althena turned to look at the little girl, she understood completely how she felt. She'd been sent alone into this camp of heathen camp mere months before. She knew all too well the overwhelming fear, the defensiveness, the need to return home.

"Trust me." The princess answered, holding the younger girl's hand gently. "You'll be safe here. They're much nicer than they seem."

As they walked up to the door, the first thing that Althena noticed was yelling, and how the aggressive noises were terrifying the quivering girl beside her. The doors opened and Hvitserk gave a small wave as Ubbe and Ivar stood glaring at eachother.

"It was my plan." Ivar insisted stubbornly. "I should lead."

"We are equals, brother. Lead our army but don't forget that." Ubbe returned, trying to reason with him.

"Ahem." Althena cleared her throat from the door, gaining their attention. As they looked over, Leofgifu clung onto her for dear life, afraid of what might happen if she made eye contact with one of them. "This is my friend, Leofgifu. You're going to look after her for a while."

"Why?" Ivar narrowed his gaze, making his older brother's roll their eyes as they welcomed her in - of course she didn't move an inch, far too afraid to leave Althena's side. She knew these men and the things they'd done, the people they'd killed. And, in the centre of the room was the scariest of the three, Ivar.

"Because I need your help for a moment and I don't trust anyone else to keep her safe." Althena answered honestly, but her response was directed more towards Ubbe than towards Ivar. Slowly, she turned to the girl, giving her a small hug and then pulling away with a reassuring smile. "There's nothing to be afraid of, I promise. They'll look after you."

"Do we look like mothers to you?" Ivar scoffed, glaring over at her.

"Remarkably, yes Ivar. The resemblance is uncanny." She answered before turning her attention back towards Leofgifu. "Ignore him. He's grumpy, but not as pigheaded as he likes to pretend." She spoke loudly enough so that Ivar would hear her, making him roll his eyes in response.

As Leofgifu finally sat down with Hvitserk, shaking terribly as she stared at the ground, Althena pulled Ubbe to one side in the hopes of explaining the situation to him. She looked down for a moment, thinking of what to say, before she gulped and pushed on. "I know that none of you owe me anything. You don't even know her and I wouldn't leave her here if I didn't have to-"

"I know that." Ubbe answered calmly, reassuring her with a look of compassion as she fretted.

"She's Alwin's mistress." Althena explained, looking over towards the girl. "She's only a child and she doesn't want to be here. He's been hurting her, and God alone knows what else he's forced on her. I can't just leave her with him."

"So you're going to go and find your brother." Ubbe guessed, finishing her thoughts. The princess nodded, making him sigh. Sometimes he wished he hadn't married such a stubborn fool. Of course this was going to end in disaster. How else could it possibly end? Instead of going to confront her brother head on, she likely should have waited until the next battle and sent her to Alfred's men. Then it would seem as though she was captured, but she was still safe. But no. Not for Althena. She was far too bold, far too proud, to wait another second. She had to do something and she had to do it now. She had to stop Alwin. "You're going to start a war."

"Well then at least it will be a war with a good cause." She protested, frowning as she thought.

"You can't just run into things head first and hope for the best." He told her, knowing that she'd not thought this through. "Have you talked to Edith about it?"

"Edith has her own problems to worry about." Althena responded. "And before you tell me to stop worrying about everyone else, I will not just leave her at my brother's mercy. Please Ubbe, just keep her safe while I talk to Alwin. I promise, I won't cause any trouble if I can help it."

"Somehow, I don't believe you." He sighed, smiling at the fierce woman that stood beside him. "I'll look after her, you have my word."

"And you have mine." She smiled, pausing for a moment. She wasn't sure what came over her, the sheer adrenaline in her veins or a growing fear that was dawning on her that she might not have long left with the brothers, but whatever it was caused her to do something she never thought she'd do. "Ubbe," She caught his attention again, her eyes shifting between him and the floor. "I just want you to know that I care about you. Even if you are all dreadful heathens, you're family."

"I care about you too." He answered, making her smile widen ever so slightly before she left.