chapter 9

"Oh Althena," Edith began, hand on the younger girl's cheek as it always used to be

"Oh Althena," Edith began, hand on the younger girl's cheek as it always used to be. "You must come to dinner with us tonight."

"Dinner?" Althena laughed. "How could I refuse that? I'm starving. Who's going?"

Edith paused, looking down shyly, and then back towards the Saxon troops with a frown. "Alwin, your mother, and Alwin's mistress."

"Mistress?" Althena gawked in utter disbelief. Here her brother was, married to the most beautiful and intelligent woman in the kingdom and it still wasn't enough for him? Their father would be ashamed of him. "Who in all of God's green earth could he have found himself?"

"Leofgifu" Edith responded. Althena recalled the young girl, a manipulative little minx that had always loathed being the princesses hand maiden. She was far younger than the King - who's age was nearing 20 - and must've been far closer to 16. In Althena's mind, the girl was a child, though she supposed as long as she was old enough to conceive it mattered not to Alwin. The man was disgusting and should've never been granted the throne.

"I'll be there." Althena assured, hugging her dear friend. "For you, not for them."

As night began to near, Althena wondered whether she'd made the right decision. She'd become so accustomed to being with the ragnarssons that the thought of spending even a whole hour with Alwin was repulsive. Even Ivar was less offensive to the princess than her infuriating little brother. Nevertheless, she had promised Edith and her word was her word. Without it, she was nothing.

With head held high, she made her way to the lit tent that held her brother. Her eyes rolled in annoyance as she heard his laughter from within. God she wished the heathens had blood eagled him as they'd done to Ælle. Surely he'd be less obnoxious dead.

"Edith, fetch the wine would you my love?" Alwin demanded, and Althena could hear his smug grin.

"Why don't you get the maid to do that?" Edith retorted sharply, making the princess chuckle. She'd always been strong, but she shouldn't have to be when with her own husband.

"Or better yet," Althena entered, a small smirk present on her lips as she watched Alwin's face turn pale. "You could get off your arse and get yourself a drink, dear brother."

"Sister," He greeted in disbelief. "What are you doing here?"

Edith smiled at the gluttonous King's reaction. "I invited her." She spoke calmly, walking the princess to her seat. "I hope you don't mind."

Alwin shook his head, looking towards their mother with wide eyes. She seemed unshocked, but visibly uncomfortable. Perhaps they prayed that the young girl was dead - but she was far stronger than that. It would take more than marriage to break her.

"Heathen whore." The young blonde beside Alwin mumbled, making him chuckle. The two of them were practically on top of eachother while Edith, his rightful queen, was sat on the other side of the table.

"Indeed," Alwin grinned deviously. "How is your marriage, dear sister? I pray you've been adequately pleasing your husband?"

Before Edith could jump to her defence, Althena began to chuckle softly, eyes glistening as she looked up towards the two. "Oh Alwin, no." She smiled, that look of defiance evident in her every movement. "He's pleased me, as a husband should. Not that you'd know anything about pleasing a woman."

Alwin choked on his wine, staring up at her in fury as Edith tried to contain her amusement. Of course it wasn't true, nothing was. The night of their marriage, Ubbe had slept on the floor and promised that he'd never force anything on her. He'd given her her privacy ever since. But that didn't stop Althena from taking every opportunity to disrespect her brother. What could he do to her now? He needed her. Without her, their alliance with the pagans would fall through. If he killed her, Ubbe would have every right to kill him. And he couldn't execute her as one of his citizens, as he'd already sent her away to join the northmen. She was untouchable, and Lord it was a good feeling.

"That's exactly what I'd expect a whore to say." The immature girl on Alwin's lap spoke bitterly.

"My dear," Althena turned to her flatly. "There is only one of us here that is having relations with a man out of wedlock and it is not me."

The rage in the little blonde's eyes amused the princess and queen greatly. Of course, the little one persisted her assault as she knew not when to silence herself. Althena couldn't blame her, she was only a girl after all. She blamed Alwin for taking advantage of her. She blamed Alwin for everything.

"And only one of us here who left our people behind."

"Brother," Althena turned to the King, ignoring the barrage that erupted from his mistress. "Teach your maid to whom she speaks."

Alwin shrugged, looking between the bitterly. "She speaks to a heathen, sister." He answered through fury. God she hated him.

"Indeed. A heathen princess of royal blood. A heathen married to a son of Ragnar Lothbrok. And, if you wish to maintain this treaty, I suggest you address me as such. I wouldn't want to see you without lungs, now would I?"

As the meal finished, Althena dismissed herself with a smirk. Alwin would not disrespect her or Edith anymore. He thought that he'd removed a thorn in his side by sending her away, that she would never cause him trouble again because he'd stripped her of her power. But, if anything, he had only made her stronger. It didn't matter whether her statements were true, he simply couldn't take the gamble. So, no matter what he did, he would always have to answer to her.