Getting Settled

-- Edited -- 

Luke hadn't seen Jess act like this in a long time. He wasn't always the grumpy teen everyone knew him as today, but it had been a while since he had seen Jess act this caring.

Of course it was all for his favorite person in the world, but that didn't keep the smile from coming over Luke's face as he watched Jess make a fuss over his sister.

"Are you all right?"

"Do you want ice?"

"Do you need bandages?"

"Are you hungry?"

And a few more questions and rambling in between.

She quieted him with a giggle and another small hug.

"What is it?" he asked her, confused.

"It's funny when you freak out. I'm alright for now, mother hen. Some food would be nice though," she stated as she laughed again.

"I'll get the food, you take her upstairs and show her the apartment. Then help her carry her stuff upstairs from the truck," I said, handing her backpack back to her and heading to the kitchen.

Willow's POV

"Lead the way, Jessie," I say as I smile bright at my big brother.

He responds with one of his signature smirks, mumbles something about not letting Luke hear me say that, as he leads me up the stairs. We come upon an office door that reads, 'William's Hardware.'

"Huh, look at that. I forgot it was grandpa's office before it was his apartment," I state.

 "Wonder what he was like?"

"Like Luke," Jess replies.

"Yeah, perhaps," I say as Jess opens the door.

It makes me sad I never got to meet my grandfather. From what I've heard he was a wonderful guy. That's why mom named me after him.

"Well this is it. Small. This is Luke's bed, the bathroom is right there. Living room, dining room, and kitchen," he points at each room as he calls them off.

"My bed is over here, I'm sure Luke will go get you your own tomorrow, for now you can steal mine," he says turning to look at me.

"I can just take the couch, Jess, or that air mattress you first slept on. I'll be okay for one night, I don't wanna put you out."

"It's fine Will, I'll take the couch. You're all beat up and the air mattress popped," he finishes with a laugh.

"How'd that happen," I giggled.

"Funny story, I'll tell you later. For now let's go get your stuff from the truck," Jess said as he headed to the door.

I placed my backpack on the dining table and followed him.

We stacked my stuff in the corner on Jess' side of the apartment, which we agreed I would share with him.

Luke told me to make a list of things I needed bought, anything from food to furniture.

Luke told me about his friend Lorelai and her daughter Rory. He informed me I would meet them tomorrow and they might take me shopping with them.

He also got very uncomfortable when explaining to me they could help with any 'girl' issues I might have. Which made Jess uncomfortable and made me laugh.

Luke made a burger and fries followed by the remaining half of a pie that Jess and I shared while we talked. He had been calling me every few days.

He still refused to talk to mom, though I didn't blame him. He informed me of the goings on of this odd little town. He also might have meant a girl, but gave me little to no details on the situation.

I talked him into trying harder in school. He is smart and talented, but he has to finish school first. Which meant ditching the secret job.

Jess and I sat on his bed. Him with his back against the headboard and laying next to him with my head leaned over on his lap. Both of us were lost in a book.

Being the nerd I am I opted for The Hobbit. I've read it a couple times before, but I never love it any less.

I'm thrilled Luke let me bring all of my stuff. It's a lot and his apartment is already tiny because of Jess' plethora of belongings.

Neither of us ended up sleeping on the couch that night because we ended up falling asleep, with me laying on Jess, as our books slipped from our hands and we curled up together.

Luke POV

I came upstairs after cleaning up the diner and doing some things so I had less to worry about tomorrow.

I walk into a quiet apartment, and at first I panic for a few seconds. My first thought is Jess or both of them had snuck out.

Then I saw them curled up together on Jess's small, single bed. I grab a blanket and throw it over them before going to bed myself.

There was a lot to do tomorrow, but I'm sure both these kids are gonna be fine.