Our Boy

-- Edited --

Willow's POV 

Luke and I arrive to see Jess get his award. When we get there and it's just starting. Jess is leaning against the wall, scowling, hating the world.

We sit in the back and listen to his manager talk.

"Nothing fancy, just a quick thanks and way to go. Oh, and there's 200 bucks in it. I think that's how we got our honoree to even show up to this thing," the guy says, causing most of the people to laugh.

Jess is still standing there glaring. He hasn't spotted Luke and I yet.

"You know him as a trouper, our Mr. Reliable. The first time this young man sat down on that forklift, well it was like an extension of himself. And yeah, he's not one for small talk, but this boy's production is out of sight. It's Jess Mariano, everybody."

Everyone claps and Jess walk up.

"Would you like to say anything, Jess?" he asked Jess, pulling his arm around him.

"Nope," Jess replies

"Well, that's our Jess. give him another hand, folks. And, uh, have a good one."

Jess takes his plaque and money and goes to rush out until he spots Luke and I.

"What are you doing here?" he asks.

"I'm so proud of my boy," Luke says, pinching Jess' cheek.

"Stop it," Jess replies.

"Do you have a tissue?" Luke asks.

"Yeah, because I think I'm gonna be emotional," I say, pouting.

"I mean it. Stop, now," Jess replies.

"You know you love me," I say, hugging Jess around the waist.

"It came with cash. It's the only reason I'm here," Jess says.

"Don't forget the plaque. You should hand that over your bed, shine a little spotlight on it," Luke says.

"I gotta get to work," Jess says, going to leave.

"Yeah, the forklift's going, "where's my extension of me?'" Luke says.

"Give me a real hug first," I say.

He gives me a look and I pout at him. This causes him to roll his eyes, but he does come give me a hug before rushing off.

"Hey. Saw you jawboning with our boy there. I'm Bill Borden," the guy, Bill, says.

"Luke Danes. I'm Jess' uncle. And this is his sister Willow," Luke says.

All I do is smile and stay quiet. New person. System shutdown.

"Nice meeting you," Bill replies.

"Yeah. So, he's doing good, huh?"

"Wish I had a dozen more Jesses. He's my go-to guy." Bill says.

No, you don't. One is difficult enough to deal with.

"That's great to hear," Luke says.

"He works like a dog on his regular shift, and if someone calls in sick, and they always do, Jess is there even if he's already done 40 hours that week."

Damn. Here it comes. I knew he had been skipping school, but now I have a feeling he stopped coming all together.

"Wow. I am so- 40 hours? He never works 40 hours," Luke states.

"More like 45, that's what I'm saying. Good boy that one," Bill replies.

Oh, no he's not.

"Wait, how's that possible. He's got school, he works for me. It can't be 40," Luke says.

"Well, I can't say that I sign every time card, but I'm pretty sure it's at least that," Bill states.

"Maybe I'm mistaken," Bill adds.

"Yeah, maybe," Luke replies, glancing at me.

I look away.

He knows.

"On. though you might like this. Little keepsake for you," Bill says, handing Luke Jess' employee of the month picture.

"Great. Thanks," Luke says.

Bill walks away and Luke turns to me. I shrink into myself a little and look up at him.

"Please don't yell," I say in the loudest voice I can muster, which isn't much.

He puts his hand on my back and guides me out to the truck. We don't really talk that much on the way home. I think he's thinking. Finally, I say something.

"I didn't know he was working that much. I know he skipped a couple of times, and I didn't say anything because I thought he was doing better. I haven't heard from any of his teachers that he was doing bad," I say, looking at Jess.

Then I remembered the deal they had. The deal I knew Jess agreed on, partially because of me. For Jess to stay with Luke he had to go to school.

I knew for sure that that wasn't happening. I don't think Luke has accepted it yet. Tears well up in my eyes and I look over at Luke again.

"I want it to work out this time," I say, before I finally break down.

When we got home, we went our separate ways because I didn't want to deal with people at the moment.

He doesn't seem mad.

He doesn't want to believe that Jess has gone behind his back and skipped school.

I know for sure that they are both going to blow up when they talk and the truth comes out. 

AN // -  6,000 Reads!! Thank you. Love you. 

-- Izzy :)