Chapter Forty-Six

Hindi ako nakatulog nang maayos dahil sa kakaisip sa mga sinabi ni Orion. I couldn't believe it. I don't want to believe it.

How? Why? Hindi ko maintindihan kung paano niya ako nagustuhan. I can count in one hand the number of times that we were actually together. Kaya paano? I know that feelings can't be measured by time. I know that first hand but... it just seems so bizarre.

I don't want him to like me. I don't want anyone to hurt because of me again — because I know in my heart that I can't reciprocate his feelings, not when until now... it's still Ali for me.

The situation scares me. It's like Atticus all over again. I'm terrified that history will repeat itself. Natatakot ako na baka may mapahamak ulit dahil sa akin.

Knocks from my car window pulled me out of my thoughts. Napatingin ako sa labas at nakita si Ate Lavie na mukhang nagtataka dahil nasa loob lang ako ng sasakyan.

The car engine was still on. I don't know how long I've been sitting here. My mind was an explosion of chaotic thoughts that I don't even remember how I left the office and got home.

I quickly turned off the engine and unbuckled my seatbelt. Kinuha ko ang bag at phone mula sa passenger seat at lumabas na ng sasakyan.

"Ate Lavie, you're here," I greeted, a bit surprised to see her. Hindi naman kasi sila dito tumutuloy. Sa dati g condo unit ni Kuya X sila nakatira habang ginagawa pa ang bahay na pinagawa ni Kuya.

"Hi!" She closed our distance to pull me for a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Tita Hyon!" a sweet tiny voice called me.

My eyes immediately found my niece, Dionne. Napatawa ako nang makita ang suot niya. A cute beach straw hat that matches her small white dress with dark blue stripes. The collar and sleeves were ruffled. It was slightly blackless and at the lower back was a big dark blue ribbon. To complete her summer look, she's wearing sunglasses that looked to big on her face.

I crouched down to meet her height. I grinned widely. "Baby Dionne, you look so pretty!"

She jumped me for a hug. Halos matumba pa ako nang ipulupot niya ang mga braso sa aking leeg. "I miss you, Tita!"

I hugged her tight and pressed a solid kiss on her cheek. I broke the hug but held her waist to get a proper look at her. "Look at you! What are you wearing?"

"It's my beach outfit! Mommy let me wear it 'cos we're going to Dada Zion's new resort tomorrow! You will go and Tito Hadeon will go and... and Tito Zeno will also go!" Her cute accent was thick as she vibrantly exclaimed.

My amusement waned and I gaped when I remembered the grand opening of the renovated resort in Batangas. The project started two years ago and after a year of construction, it will finally be open to public again tomorrow.

I completely forgot about it. Ilang beses na naging topic ito sa dinner. Dad assigned this project to Kuya Hadeon. They even started preparing for the event a month ago. Nawala lang talaga sa isip ko sa tagal at dahil din sa mga nangyari nitong nakaraang araw.

"Do you have swimsuit, Tita?" Dionne asked, forcing me to direct my attention to her.

I brightly smiled. "Of course. How 'bout you?"

"I brought five!" She giggled.

"That's a lot!" I exaggerated my amazement.

"Blame your Kuya. He's spoiling her." Umiling si Ate Lavie.

Napatingin ako kay Ate Lavie. "Dito kayo matutulog, Ate?"

"Yeah. X doesn't want to drive tomorrow, kaya sasabay na lang kami sa van," mahinhin na sagot ni Ate.