CHAPTER 6

We just resumed school from our spring break. My sisters and I celebrated our birthday 3 days ago. We got to speak to mom and dad. We offered to go back home just to celebrate with them but they refused. As much as it dampened the mood a bit, they managed to still be there for our birthday, thanks to Auriana. She cast an astral projection spell with Elissa and Carissa's help so we could see our parents. That alone made everything better. Of course right after that the Mendez siblings and our friends decided to throw a party for us at the Shadow pack house. We had a wonderful time. Oh yeah, like a month before our birthday, Nick and Alec celebrated their 18th birthday and were handed to titles of Alpha and Beta of the Shadow Pack, respectively. I also found out that Nick was my mate, at the party he and his sister threw for our birthday but I decided to keep quiet about it till he approached me himself.

I had just finished swim practice. We were practicing for another swim meet, this time against West Hill High School which was in two weeks.

"Alright, girls. Today, according to coach, we all broke our swimming records. (All the girls in the locker room cheered at the news.) Yeah, if we keep going like this, we're gonna beat West Hill High and every other school we go against without even breaking a sweat, I can promise you that." I said. The girls cheered again.

"That's right. We are the Pali High Sharks and we never lose." Rae added backing me up. The girls cheered once again before we all went back to what we were doing. I dressed up and bid Rae goodbye before heading out of the locker room. I checked my phone for the time and saw that Kara and Korra would be coming out of gymnastics practice in about 20 minutes. I looked up and saw Nick walking towards me.

"Hey, Nick."

"Hey, Kiara." I noticed that his expression was kind of serious.

"Is everything okay? You have this serious expression going on." I asked.

"Yeah, can I talk to you for a minute?" I nodded. He pulled me into one of the empty classrooms.

"So what did you want to talk about?"

"Kiara, I know you know we're mates."

"Yes, I do. I was just waiting for you to come to me. I don't like to force myself on people or throw myself at them."

"Yeah, I figured and I respect you for that. Look, you're a wonderful person, girl. Sweet, kind, beautiful, fearless, badass and everything. I mean you fight for your family and friends and even those you don't really know and any other guy would be lucky to have you." He started saying.

"Any other guy? What are you talking about? Nick, what are you saying right now? Because you're making me a bit confused."

"Kiara, I'm sorry I have to do this. I didn't want to hurt you but I can't accept you as my mate." I looked at him in shock.

"You can't or won't 'cause that's two different things."

"Kiara, please."

"Ok, fine. Like I said, I don't like to throw myself at people or force myself on them. But I'm at least gonna get an explanation, right? " I asked, my voice breaking a bit as I spoke.

"Kiara, please don't make this harder for me than it already is. I'll see you around. I'm sorry." He said then left me standing in the classroom alone. A tear slipped from my eye as I tried to process what has just happened. A minute later, my phone started ringing. I looked down at it to see Kara calling.

Kara: 'Hey, where are you? We finished practice like 5 mins ago and have been waiting by the car for you.

Me: 'Sorry, I... uh... got held up doing something. I'll be there in a minute.