Chapter 15

Mayas pov

As Kevin kept pushing me further towards the forest, my heart stopped. Was he about to rape me?
My eyes widened at the possibility and I got scared.

"Kevin, would you please stop! I don't want this!", in between his breaths I could hear him scoff at me.

"Just relax babe" and he kissed me further.

"No, Kevin stop it now!" I said out loud. Finally, my voice was coming back to me and I gave him a final push that tore his lips apart from me. He looked at me with an irritated glare and went through his hair in distress. I was panting and fixing my dress to make it sit properly again. He had made my dress a mess after all his groping.

"You're not worth the bet" he said and went away. Away from me. I could see his back slightly in the dark. I just stood there, numb and confused about what this was all about.

Not worth the bet... What was he talking about?

Then slowly realization hit me hard. Was I just a bet to him? That's why he was so persistent to get to talk to me? What exactly was the bet about?

I followed him back to the mansion, with a couple of meters between us. I didn't want to get closer to him. Not after what he did to me. Shame came up and overwhelmed me again. How I felt stupid for even thinking that Kevin was interested in me. He just wanted to get my body after all.
I didn't see where I was going now as I was looking down while walking. My thoughts went everywhere now. Until I hit something hard. I looked up to see I had bumped into someone. Someone very handsome. James.

He looked down on me with a concerned look but didn't utter a single word.

"Sorry", I muttered and walked past him. James was the last person I wanted to see right now. As I got into the wedding hall, I got a glimpse of Kevin and some other guys who were also guests at the wedding. Some of them were the same guys who came up to me and offered a drink, right before Kevin did.

Suddenly the pieces were gathering in my head. The same guys who stood there, they all tried to get my attention. I saw Kevin picking something up from his pocket and handed it over to one of the guys. It was money. Wait, did the guys bet on something? Something that involved me in it. Anger came crashing over me. Then the anger faded away and the feeling of being hurt overtook. How could I be so stupid?

Now I saw James walking towards me. What did he want now?

"Are you okay?" he asked me. I stayed silent, didn't reply to his question. Why did it matter to him if I was okay or not?

"Maya, tell me. Did Kevin do something to you?", he put his hand on my arm to get my attention. I froze at his touch. I didn't want anyone to touch me again. I shook him off and looked away from him. This was getting really humiliating.

Most of the guests had disappeared from the reception now. It was getting late and it was only all the young people who stayed and partied on.

"He did something to you, didn't he?" he sounded cold. And a little angry? I forced myself to look at him and connected with his blue eyes. Somehow, I couldn't say anything back to him. But what did happen was the last thing I wanted to. Tears were flowing down my cheeks. I wiped away the tears quickly, but I was sure he caught me. Then James did something that I wouldn't think he would ever do.

He took my hand and pulled me away from the hall. I didn't resist as I felt safe in his warm hand. "Hey, look at me. Did he hurt you? Did he cross any lines?".

James looked concerned. He acted weird now. Why did he even care about what Kevin did to me? To my surprise I nodded at his questions. He clenched his teeth so I could see his jaw become tense. 

"Did he...?" 

Was he asking if Kevin raped me? My eyes widened and I suddenly shook my head and told him that it didn't go that far. 

"N... No, I told him to stop and he then walked away" I observed James. He was sighing of pure relief. "I told you not to engage with that guy".

I looked at him in shock. So that's why he told me to stay away?

"Did you know about the bet?" I asked him in surprise. He didn't give me any answer. I asked once again: "Did you, James?". 

"Yes, I heard the guys earlier, talking about who could get laid with the made of honor"

"Oh..." 

"Can I walk you over to your room? Maybe it's best to call the night off..." I nodded once again, and he followed me all the way to my room. As I stood in front of the door, I wanted to search for my keys in my purse, but I couldn't as James was still holding my hand in his. We stayed silent like this for a while until something came over him and he let go of me. He cleared his throat and put his hands in his pockets. He didn't wear his blazer right now. He was in black trousers, polished brown shoes, and wore the shirt on only. He looked amazing. How I wished he would have liked me.

I put the keys in and opened the door. I walked in and before I closed the door, I told him goodbye and then went inside to get away from this nightmare.