Chapter 44

James POV

I was so frustrated this evening. The dinner went perfect and just when I thought that we were having a good time at the bar that stupid son of a... showed up out of nowhere. What were the odds man?

On this important night, I wanted everything to be perfect. I wanted it to be a night that we would remember where we enjoyed each other's company where we celebrated love and commitment. I had it all planned out. Tonight, I wanted to propose, and I just waited until we were about to get back home.

I had never thought that Oliver would suddenly show up. And what a dick head he was. The way he looked at Maya with that self-loathed face of his.

When we got back home, and she went in to change her clothes I sat on her bed contemplating whether I should propose to her or not this night. I had the box with the ring in my hand and juggled it between my two hands.

No, today was not the perfect day to propose. Oliver just ruined it!

How could this be a blissful day to look back on when we both knew that Oliver was a part of that day. That would just be upsetting. I was not going to ruin such a day even though I was burning with eagerness to give her the ring and ask her to marry me.

The next few days I waited for the right moment. I had an idea of taking her to one of our favorite places so it could be special. But somehow it didn't work out in my head. What could I do to make this proposal extraordinary and special? I couldn't think too much about it while working at the firm. I was occupied with lots of files and had to sit at meetings with my co-workers these couple of days. Maya was busy doing what she was best at – painting new things for her upcoming exhibition. She was always at the studio lately to finish her deadline.

I hadn't got enough time to plan out the whole thing, so I decided to let it go for a period. I had to focus on my work for a bit now. My phone vibrated and I looked at it. It was from Maya

'Something urgent came up. Must go back and visit my parents tonight'

What was so urgent that she had to go this sudden? Maybe I should go with her tonight. We hadn't told her parents about us yet so maybe it would be the perfect time to tell them. I didn't worry much about it as I had a good impression of her parents from the first time meeting them. The way they were all welcoming me into their house, the way they opened their arms to me – it was overwhelming (in a positive way though). I was sure that they liked me. I decided to text her back that I wanted to go with her and then continued reading the file I had in front of me on my desk. I looked on my phone to see that she had replied already.

'No, it's fine. I'll go by myself- I'll be back quickly' 

She didn't want me to go with her. That was unlike her. I thought it would be a good time to tell her parents. After all, I was about to propose to her anytime soon. I decided to go with her anyway. I didn't reply back as I was interrupted by Christel when she came into my office to ask for some advice on her upcoming case. She had an ongoing case going on about a wealthy man experiencing fraud from the company he had invested in. Apparently, the company had falsified some of their numbers and it gave the investors an idea of that the company was doing more than great when in fact they didn't. It led to a great loss of money for this man. So, he was suing the company for fraud.

I, on the other hand, was dealing with a kidnapping case. This man that I was prosecuting had kidnapped my client and kept her hidden for several weeks before she was found again. It was all on the news too. The kidnapper had a criminal record all the way back from 2003. He had committed all kinds of different things before, like robbing a store and from what I could see in my files he seemed like a pedophile too according to some of the files and pieces of evidence. I was so determined to win this case.