Chapter Twenty-Five: The Phone Call

You walked up the grand flight of stairs, stumbling as you made your way to the huge glass doors. Your eyes were heavy when your hand reached for the door handle. When you pulled it open, you realized no one was in the hallways. It was dark.

What? 

"Hey, sleepyhead!" a voice called out behind you. You turned to see Tadashi, waving. Immediately every single bone in your skeletal system woke up at the sight of him.

"Hi," you said shyly, staring at your black sneakers.

Tadashi gave you a quick hug. "Didn't you get the message? Callaghan gave us a day off," Tadashi said, looking into the school. "Why is the door unlocked?"

You shrugged. But I didn't get the message, you thought. 

"Well, then, you can come with me, if you want. I was on my way to the park," Tadashi offered.

"Sure," you agreed, a blush spreading over your face. The two of you began to walk away from the building, not noticing the figure hiding inside, clutching a gun.

* * *

You stared at your shoes as awkward silence fell over you and Tadashi. The both of you were sitting under a tree in the park, leaning against the smooth bark. 

"(Y/N)-"

"Tadashi-"

"Sorry," Tadashi laughed. "Go ahead."

"No, it's fine." You pulled your legs up to your chest.

"Oh. . .um. . . ." Tadashi pulled off his cap nervously and held it on his lap. A tinge of pink spread over the bridge of his nose. "It's not important. Never mind."

"Okay," you said quietly. Tadashi relaxed and put his cap back on. 

Now you were curious about what he was going to say. You were also dying to tell him, your only friend, about everything going on: the wedding, Hoshi, Hiro, Callaghan; just all the drama in your life.

"Are you okay?" Tadashi asked, turning his head to look at you. 

You didn't reply; just stared at your shoes glumly. 

Tadashi pulled you into a hug. "You can tell me."

"It's not important," you mimicked. "Never mind." You glanced up at him and grinned.

Tadashi sighed, his face a mixture of exasperation and happiness. You stared at his eyes and realized there was even loneliness. 

"What's wrong?" you asked, sitting up.

"What?" Tadashi blinked, the emotions fading away from his face. "What do you mean? I'm fine."

"It's Hiro, isn't it?" you asked. "Don't tell me he's giving you a bad time, too." You thought of Hiro's messy hair and smug personality. 

"No. It's just- he's been hanging out with me less and less," Tadashi confessed. "He's never like this. He's either finding ways to bother you or talking with Professor Callaghan."

"Callaghan?" Your blood turned cold.

"Yeah. You know, the professor you saw when you first came to SFIT." 

"Where's Hiro now?" You sat up, your heartbeat quickening. 

"He went off somewhere," Tadashi replied. "Why? What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry, Tadashi, but I need to go. Now." You stood up and grabbed your backpack. "Thanks for letting me hang out with you."

"No problem," he replied cheerfully. "Remember, I'm always here if you want to talk."

* * *

I never thought I would be doing this, you thought, scrolling through your contacts. You were hidden in the small forest in the park, staring at your phone. 

You pressed Hiro's name, and after two rings, he picked up. "Hello?"

"Hiro," you said. "Where are you?"

Suddenly, a loud thump was heard on Hiro's end. You heard the phone clatter onto some surface, then voices.

"This is getting difficult, Hiro," an unfamiliar voice rasped. "I planned it perfectly. I waited for her to come to the school, but then that pesky brother of yours led her away before I could kill her!"

Kill me? you thought in horror.

"I need to move things faster," the voice continued. "If I want to take over (L/N) Corporation, then I have to pick off every member of that horrid family."

"How could you do this?" Hiro's voice was choked, as if he was going to cry.

"You know exactly why, Hiro. You love the girl, I know you do. That's why I need you to help me."

"You're a monster!" 

"Remember this, boy. If you tell the family of my plans, know that the girl you love will be killed, and your family will be too."

* * *