Chapter Thirty-Six: The Question

"Bye, Hoshi!" you called, waving to your stepsister. She was going back to San Fransokyo High. It was her first day.

She simply waved back, and began running down the sidewalk to her bus stop. Today was special. She had finally coaxed Michiko she didn't want to be the helpless girly girl. She wanted to be bold. So today, instead of wearing a first - day - of - school dress, she was wearing sneakers and jeans. It wasn't very athletic yet, but it was progress.

Two weeks had passed since Hiro gave you the Minnie ears. Fall had started, and the sidewalks were already piled with leaves. 

You turned back to the house and grabbed your backpack. "Bye, Dad!"

The house was quiet. 

Huh. You glanced at the driveway. Hiro was standing there, grinning at you. "Hi, Hiro!" you said happily, running to him. He met you with a hug. 

"Ready to go?" he asked cheerfully as the two of you began to walk. He slipped his hand into yours and intertwined your fingers. 

"I hope so." SFIT gave a break for the summer, and you didn't know if it would be the same without Tadashi and Callaghan.

* * *

You stared glumly at your notebook. It was blank.

My first day back, and I can't even think of any ideas, you thought, frustrated. You ran a hand through your (H/C) hair. You sat there in silence, the only sound was the clock ticking.

Suddenly, the door flew open. It was Honey Lemon. "I got lunch," she sang, plopping a box in front of you. 

"I'm not hungry," you mumbled.

The blonde towered over you. "I thought you got over your depression over Tadashi's death or something."

"I'm just not hungry. Maybe later, okay?" You turned back to your work.

You could feel Honey's gaze burning into your back. Then she left. You sighed. Geez, I'm just not hungry. 

A moment later, the door opened again. "Hi, (Y/N)," Hiro's voice greeted you.

"Let me guess, Honey sent you in to feed me," you grumbled, opening a drawer and pulling out a box of erasers.

"How did you guess?" Hiro said, coming over to your desk. He sat in one of your chairs. "Are you okay, (Y/N)?"

"Yes!" you snapped. "I'm just not hungry!"

Hiro jumped. "Okay, geez." He stood up, so you assumed he was going to leave, and turned around again.

But a second later, you felt his arms wrap around your neck from behind. "Hiro, can you move? I'm trying to get some work done," you said, trying to shrug him off.

He didn't budge. "Do you need help with anything?" he asked instead. 

You sighed. "No."

Hiro released you, but he opened the box. "Hey, chicken wings! Can I have one?"

"Take it all. I'm not hungry." You got up and began sorting through the cabinets. You turned around and saw Hiro stuffing his face. 

You couldn't help but to smile. "Hey, Hiro, want to go on a walk?" you asked. "Maybe fresh air will give me inspiration."

"Sure!" Hiro replied, closing the box. "Let's go." 

* * *

You stared at the rippling pond. You and Hiro were seated on an elegant bench in the courtyard. Tiny goldfish darted about in the little pond in front of you, and cherry blossom petals floated over you. The tree provided a nice, cool shade.

The courtyard was empty. Everyone was in the cafeteria.

"(Y/N), I need to tell, no, ask you something," Hiro said suddenly. You looked at him.

"I know we've been friends for a long time," he mumbled, staring at his lap. "And how I already told you I really liked you." He paused. "And. . . um. . . I was wondering if . . . you would be my. . . girlfriend." He looked at you. "You don't have to," he said quickly. "I was just. . . " he trailed off.

You were silent. A cloud of emotions filled your head. "I. . . " you said, your mouth suddenly dry. 

I thought I liked Tadashi, you thought. But he never liked me back. And ever since he died, Hiro was there for me. You looked up at Hiro, who was staring back at you. His face was emotionless, but his eyes were hopeful and even pleading.

You were half expecting Hiro to leap up and scream "April Fool's!" or something like that, but he was just sitting there, waiting for a response.

"I can give you time to think about it," Hiro offered after a few moments. You barely heard him over the thoughts swarming in your brain.

"Yes," you finally said. "Yeah, Hiro, I'll be your girlfriend." Right after you said that, you thought of your family. Your dad would probably faint and then come after Hiro with a rifle. Hoshi might be happy. Michiko might be already planning your wedding.

But that didn't matter right now. Hiro's eyes lit up. "Really?" Now he looked like he expected you to jump up and scream "April Fool's!". 

You nodded stiffly. Did I do the right thing? 

Suddenly, the courtyard gates flew open. It was Hoshi.

You leaped up. "Hoshi! What are you doing here? It's school time!"

"(Y/N), it's your father!" she wailed. "He's terribly injured and in the emergency room!"

* * *