Chapter Forty-One: The Carnival

"(Y/N), look at this. Throw or keep?" 

You turned around to face Hoshi. She was holding out a hot pink T-shirt with black leopard print. "Uh. . . it's a bit flashy."

Hoshi nodded in agreement, her nose wrinkled. "Yuck, I wore this in sixth grade." She flung it into the 'throw - away' box.

You had already packed up most of your bedroom. It took a full week. Now you both were working on Hoshi's room. It was funny how you lived in your bedroom much longer, yet it took only a while to pack up.

Suddenly, the doorbell chimed faintly downstairs. 

"I think it got it, (Y/N)," Hoshi said wearily, giving you a grin. "You shouldn't keep Hiro waiting."

"Right. Thanks!" You fled out of the room and downstairs. When you opened the door, Hiro smiled. "Hey." He grinned, showing the gap between his two front teeth.

"Hi," you said happily, stepping out onto the porch. You shut the door behind you. 

"Ready to go?" Hiro tugged at your hand. 

"Um, you never told me where we were going." 

"You'll love it," Hiro promised. "Come on."

* * *

"We're going to the carnival?" You stared at the park, where a summer carnival was set up. A large Ferris wheel turned slowly, and the smell of popcorn and pretzels and everything good wafted in the humid air.

"Yep," Hiro replied. "Today's the last day, since fall is starting and such." He nudged you towards a booth. "Want to get something to eat?"

"I already ate on my way here," you said. You pulled the brim of the San Fransokyo Ninjas cap down on your face, shading your eyes from the sun.

"Okay. . . then games!" Hiro pulled you towards a ring game, where he expertly flung ring after ring. He got to choose any prize he wanted from the booth. After a moment, he chose a stuffed (Favorite Animal) and handed it to you. "Here, it's for you," he said shyly.

"Thanks, Hiro!" you said, jumping up and down like an excited kid. You gave him a huge hug, which made him blush.

You and Hiro participated in some water gun game, winning you both water pistols. Hiro sprayed some water directly in your face, and laughed. 

"Hey, it's refreshing," you insisted, wiping water from your face.

"Right," Hiro said disbelievingly. He squirted you one more time, then ran off. You darted after him and almost tripped over a dog running around, looking for popcorn kernels to snack on. After apologizing to the dog, you went to find Hiro.

You found him behind some curtain for the magic show later. He started to laugh when you approached him. "Did you just apologize to the dog?" he spluttered between laughter.

"Well. . . yeah. Why would I not?" you asked, embarrassed.

Hiro burst into another fit of laughter. You retaliated by giving him a long squirt in the face with your water gun.

* * *

"Now the Ferris wheel!" Hiro called. 

"Hiro, it's already dark, and I'm tired," you whined, glancing up at the twinkling stars. "The carnival's going to close soon."

"Then get on before it closes," Hiro replied. "Come on, please?" He gave you the lost puppy dog eyes. You rolled your eyes, but let him drag you to the Ferris wheel. Once you and Hiro were seated in a cart, the wheel slowly moved upward.

You stared at the starry sky, waiting for Hiro to speak. When it became clear he wasn't going to talk, you started, "Hiro-"

"(Y/N)-" Hiro said at the same time. "Oh. Oops. Heh, ladies first!"

You smiled halfheartedly. "Nah, it's okay."

"Okay then. . . I just wanted to say. . . I'm really going to miss you, that's all," Hiro said quietly, staring at the sky.

You tried to swallow the lump forming in your throat.

"And I'm going to visit you whenever I can.

I promise."

* * *