Chapter Thirty-One: The Greenhouse

"I don't care if you care," you said, not caring how rude you sounded. You turned and noticed Tadashi's half of the room. Your heart shattered when you saw his neat bed, just waiting for someone to sleep in it. His cap sat on his pillow.

Hiro noticed your face. "Are you okay?"

You shoved Hiro off of you and walked towards the bed. Everything was there, and Baymax was charging in his little box in the corner.

Suddenly, the door opened. It was Cass. "Hey, kids, lunch is ready. Hiro, Mr. (L/N) invited us to go help us look for flowers. Want to come?"

Hiro shrugged, and Cass noticed you. "Oh, yes. Tadashi's stuff is still there. You're welcome to take a few things, as. . . memories." Her face melted into a sad frown.

You nodded and sat on the bed. When Cass left the room, you lifted the San Fransokyo Ninjas cap. "Do you think he would mind if I took this?" you wondered out loud. You glanced at Hiro, and saw that he had your back turned to you. He was hunched over something.

He was crying.

You decided to let him be. You knew that sometimes you needed privacy when you cried. So you silently turned away and poked around some more.

After pulling open a drawer, you saw a neat notebook. Curiously, you opened it. PRIVATE! the first page screamed. You smiled in spite of the misery hanging in the air.

The next page was some sort of doodle. It looked like a mess at first, but then you realized it was you. The next page was filled.

(Y/N) is great girl. Hiro seems to like her. I really wish she'll stop being bullied. She doesn't deserve this. I feel guilty, since I want to help but she won't let me.

Your eyes travelled down the page until you reached the bottom.

I only think of her as my little sister.

You felt torn. Then what were all those gifts? The generosity? The free food? You plopped down on the bed. I liked him, but he thought of me as a sister. You closed the notebook and slid it back in the drawer. So I wasted months trying? You snorted. And he kissed me before he died. Then again, it was just on the forehead.

A loud sniffle interrupted your thoughts. You turned around and saw Hiro sitting on his bed, staring at his lap.

He turned to you and gave you a watery smile. "Yeah, take the cap. You probably wore it more than him, anyway."

You lifted the cap cautiously, then fit it over your (H/C) hair.

Hiro stood up. "Sorry. I have severe. . . . allergies."

* * *

"Okay, let's go!" your dad said, staring at the garden. It was a huge greenhouse, with a small building out front.

Five minutes later, you were standing in a moist, slightly dim jungle of plants. Your dad had wandered off to find carnations, and Cass went to look at some potted bamboo that would look nice in her cafe.

You stared at a curtain of ivy hanging from the ceiling. You reached out with a hand and immediately the vine curled around your hand.

"I think it likes you," Hiro joked, staring at some small pots of tropical flowers.

You carefully pulled your hand away from the leaves, only to have more vines wrap around your arms and legs. "Ah, great."

"Do you need help?" Hiro glanced up, then burst out laughing at the sight of you. You were tangled in the leaves.

"What do you think?" you said, pulling at the vines. "Agh! It's like it has a mind of its own!"

"Ivy needs a base to grow on or something like that," Hiro explained, coming over. "You shouldn't have gotten too close." He leaned over and began untangling the vine curled gently around your neck. You felt his breath on your face, and you felt a little uncomfortable.

You shouldn't get too close, Hiro.

* * *