| Three

FESTIVAL DAY rolls along quick. Having amazing news revealed to her and a new perspective opened by May, Emery feels ready to go to her last school festival. Being a senior wasn't turning out incredibly bad.

Despite wanting to wear her regular attire, May convinces her that she needs to dress up at least a little bit for memories. She says that Emery won't remember anything special in her boring everyday clothes.

Emery thinks that's ridiculous, but listens to her headstrong friend. She wears a cream button up blouse paired with a jean skirt. She swats May's hand away when she tries to open the buttons a little bit. Ultimately, May is satisfied with her new look, and Emery doesn't think it's too bad for this one time.

May takes it up a notch in a floral patterned sun dress. It flows down to her thigh, paired with brown sandals. Together, they look like those Pinterest girls. The beach party ones.

As they step out of Emery's house, Harven and Tate do the same. Emery internally groans, not wanting him to pull anything today. He's never gone before, so this strikes her as strange.

They get into May's car, making sure to blast the air in these ninety degree temperatures. May eyes Emery turning the radio towards the classical, and mutes it from the wheel.

"Hey, that was rude." Emery furrows her eyebrows, crossing her arms. She sits back in her seat.

"You'll completely ruin my mood for today. I'm surrounded by classical twenty-four seven." She glances at her friend from the driver's seat.

"Fine, but no rap. That's horrible ear rape." Emery shakes her head, looking for a new station. She settles on hip-hop, which brings a satisfied smile to May's mouth.

I guess I can do with Justin Bieber, she huffs.

______________

After the ride, embarrassingly she finds herself humming to the beat of What Do You Mean.

They walk up to the familiar huge sign, flashing yellow and blue lights around the rim. In bold gold letters it reads Davies' High School Annual Festival.

As they walk further down the faint pathways, there's booths with games and all the carnival food you could imagine. A PTA member stands behind each one. Eventually, she reaches the Ferris wheel, where usually Ethan and her would ride.

"Whack-a-mole?" May asks, to which Emery nods and follows her towards the game.

Emery has always won at Whack-a-mole. She has impeccable arm strength, where May lacked a bit. The thing about this particular booth, the mole's were almost impossible to knock down, but Emery got every one.

Violin practice pays off in more ways than one.

This was the one place Emery didn't care for the noise. It was filled with people shouting in joy and exhilaration, which was fun to witness. It finally registered for her that it was her very last time. Of course she could still come to this carnival, but it wouldn't have the same sense of togetherness as this event.

May walks up to Emery, who is seated on a rusty bench. The air was perfect, blowing the slightest bit of hair in another direction and it felt fresh. Not stuffy, like she expected.

She holds a snow cone in each pale hand, rainbow and blueberry. Emery always got rainbow. Handing it to Emery, May takes her seat beside her, the bench creaking slightly.